Chapter 6

Tony and Natasha were standing in a conference room in the CIA facility in Berlin. After the bombing in Vienna, Steve and Sam attempted to help Steve's old friend Bucky Barnes, who was the prime suspect despite being in Romania at the time, escape the authorities only to be caught. The CIA brought them in along with Prince T'Challa of Wakanda, who wanted revenge for the death of his father.

A psychiatrist was brought in to evaluate Barnes, but that's when things went wrong. The lights went out and chaos ensued. Barnes was loose from his cell and his mind was not in the right place. Helmut Zemo posed as the psychiatrist and used the same words that HYDRA used to bring out the Winter Soldier and let him hurt anyone in his path. Zemo wanted to see an empire fall and Bucky was the perfect way to do it.

They attempted to stop him, but the Winter Soldier was on a rampage. He ended up escaping with Steve and Sam.

Tony was sitting in a chair and rubbed his forehead. He had a bruise under his eye from getting punched in the face by Bucky. Secretary Ross was currently reprimanding them for Steve, Sam, and Bucky's disappearance.

"I don't suppose you know where they are?" He said impatiently. Tony quickly reassured the man. "We will. GSG-9's got the borders covered. Recon's flying 24/7. They'll get a hit. We'll handle it."

It was better if Tony found them. They'd have a chance to fix everything. If Ross found them, he'd send them to prison immediately.

"You don't get it, Stark. It's not yours to handle. It's clear you can't be objective. I'm putting Special Ops on this." Ross retorted. Natasha scoffed at the man. Was he actually willing to kill Steve?

"What happens when the shooting starts? What, do you kill Steve Rogers?" She couldn't let that happen. He was her friend. Her family. He and Sam both were.

"If we're provoked. Barnes would've been eliminated in Romania if it wasn't for Rogers. There are dead people who would be alive now. Feel free to check my math." Ross was doing what he thought was right. People died because of Barnes, and Rogers was an obstacle stopping him from capturing him. At this point, it's blood for blood.

Tony looked at him and shook his head. "All due respect, you're not going to solve this with boys in bullets, Ross. You gotta let us bring them in." As much as Rogers infuriated him, Tony couldn't let him die.

"How would that end any differently from the last time?"

"Because this time, I won't be wearing loafers and a silk shirt. 72 hours, guaranteed." Tony assured Ross.

"36 hours. Barnes. Rogers. Wilson." 36? How was he supposed to find two super soldiers and a veteran-turned-superhero in 36 hours?!

Tony sighed. This was going to be a little difficult. "Thank you, sir." Ross nodded then left and Tony slumped in his chair. He rubbed his chest and sighed. "My left arm is numb. Is that normal?" He asked Nat. His left arm was the one he hurt in Afghanistan.

Natasha patted him in the shoulder in comfort. "You all right?"

"Always." He replied. He and Natasha both knew that was a lie, though. "36 hours. Geez."

Natasha nodded and looked at him. "We're seriously understaffed."

"Oh yeah. It'd be great if we had a Hulk right about now. Any shot?" Natasha's face fell a little at the thought of Bruce but quickly hid it. She missed him. "No," she said, "You really think he'd be on our side?"

Bruce would never agree to let the government control him. They tried to do it before and it didn't work out well.

Tony sighed. "No." But he did know someone who could help and so did Natasha. "I have an idea."