Chapter 11: Moon Magical Girl

Friska was tackled down by a creature much bigger than the purple ghost, now that they're close enough to see, they can see a large spider with white shining eyes, looking down directly to Friska, who is far too weak to fight him right now. Melinda threw another energy ball, which is smaller but it wasn't enough to hurt the giant spider.

"GET OFF MY DAUGHTER!" She uses the sharp part of the wand to stab the creature, causing black smoke to come out from his body, almost like a replacement of blood.

"MOTHEEER!" Friska cried out in pain, the weight of this creature is too much.

Suddenly from outside the window, a strong ray of light invaded the hallway, the brightness of the light is so strong, it illuminates the hallway so much some light came out from the window and shines the outside as well. "Purifying blast!"

The light is so strong, the spider-like creature jumped off from Friska's body and make a run before their entire body could perish, the light is so hot against it that the entire body is engulfed in terrifying black smoke, but Melinda wasn't about to let it go away. She chased down the spider and blasted another energy projectile at the creature, hurting it in the process, taking away its ability to heal and regenerate on time.

"No way, we can't let it escape!" A red haired girl jumped into the hallway through the window, that voice is the same person who saved Friska from being hurt by the spider. "Follow me! If it makes a portal and escape, we can't do anything about it!"

Friska quickly get back on her feet, despite her entire body is still shaking out of fear, she follows Melinda and the red haired girl down the stairs. "What was that?!"

"My grandma called it void creatures, I don't know much but that's all I know! They're bad, she said they're looking for something but we don't know what. My grandmother taught me light spells so I can fight them, and defend myself from those creatures." The two went down the stairs and start heading towards the kitchen, following the smoke trail.

They found the spider curling in the corner; Melinda noticed its four legs are drawing a pentagram with the spider webs. "He's making a portal." Friska recognized the pentagram.

"I won't let you!" The red haired girl, as she pointed her moon wand at it, blasting another strong ray of light at the spider, reducing the creature into nothing but smoke and ash in an instant. "God... That... Was scary."

☾☼☽

After looking around the house and making sure they didn't miss any creatures, Melinda welcomed the new magical girl into the house by serving her a warm, milk tea. "Thank you for saving my daughter, she's still learning spells."

The girl is slightly taller than Friska, she has a red hair and two pair of white flowers decorating the strange hairstyle behind her head, it's like someone tied a knot with her hair. "Ah I see, that explains. Well, to be honest without a proper direction, we just randomly pick any spell we wanted to learn from the book."

"That's right... Thanks for saving me." Friska thanked her again. "My name is Friska Vera."

"I'm her mother, Melinda Vera. What's your name?" Judging from her accent, Melinda assumed this girl is an Asian.

"I'm Wang Mengying, but for easy nickname, people call me Ying." She introduced herself with a bright smile on her face, "My power revolves around moon stuff, I just like the aesthetic you know... My grandma is a sorceress, but she told me to never use that word because people in the past will die if they know they're a sorceress, so she just called me a Magical Girl. But! She told me, if you can use magic without a conductor..."

"You can be a true Mage." Melinda finished her sentence, "So, she has the same knowledge as my grandmother."

"Yep! My grandmother- now gone- already mastered magic so much she doesn't need to use any conductor." Ying is scrolling down her phone gallery to show them a picture of her grandmother with her, "Here is her."

"Amazing, where is she now?" Friska's eyes shines upon imagining how a true mage is like.

Ying closed her phone. "She 'passed away' but as descendants, I'm sure you guys know what really happens when they grow too old."

"We know, but I was wondering if you can give us more information about the creatures we just fought. I fought one of them before, but I don't know much about them." Melinda was hoping she can find out and learn more; after all she won't let creatures that just attacked her family to roam free.

"Well, here's all I know about the creature. My grandmother is a strong mage, she fought them many times before, even stronger creatures than we see before. Those creatures are after a precious artifact, my grandmother tried looking for it by pouring many research into seeking this artifact, but she couldn't find out what it is... All she knows is that there's so many of them that are after this particular artifact, that they will do anything to find it and bring it back to their home, which is what we call the 'Void.' The void is mysterious, we don't know much but the fact that it's a bad place where those creatures live, but we know we must defeat them when we see one. Grandma said they don't know where the artifacts either so they just randomly attack magical users or hope they know or have the artifact."

The information is enough to convince Melinda to conclude an answer, "I think I might know what they want. Follow me so you can know too."

"Wait you really think they are after... that?" Friska seems to have the same idea.

"Yeah, I think they are after 'that' and they almost got it if it wasn't for your help." Melinda climb up the stairs while the two girls are following her from behind, "The large wand my grandmother, grandmother's aunt and everyone has been keeping safe. We don't even know if the wand is a precious artifact, we just know it existed, and our ancestors wanted the next generation to keep it safe."

They pulled down the attic stairs and climb up there. Using her wand to light up the dark surroundings, Melinda pulled out the large wand box out from the pile of boxes, "Here you go. This large wand I don't know who owns, but it's here and I always keep it clean and safe."

Ying's eyes are glued to the design, and the length, "So this is what they're looking for. Somehow, I can feel a strong power coming from inside the wand..."

"You can feel that?"

"Yeah! There's a way to detect a magical power from a magical item." Ying explained as her hand touched the large wand, "Yeah this is beyond what my grandmother could do, they probably want the power of this wand for themselves. We don't know for what, but they just... whatever it is, couldn't be good."

"Alright then, so now we know what they are after, are you sure they don't know this artifact is here?" Friska looks down to the large wand and touched it as well, trying to feel if she can detect anything from it, and after learning so much magic from the last time she saw it, Friska does feel something but she couldn't put her hands on it.

"If they know the location, they have surely sent someone stronger to take it away from you... But the spider we saw was just slightly stronger than the blobs." Ying assured them that it's alright, "Meaning that they're still looking."