Chapter 60

They returned to the Compound only to have to wait.

Davina had left just after they returned, letting Kol know she was meeting with Josh. Kol had given her a gentle kiss after apologizing, and had gone to the dining room to have a meal.

Hilda had gone to where Alaric had already put the twins to bed.

"They're so adorable when they're asleep," the Original sighed as she leaned over the bars of the cradle, looking at the twins' faces. She reached a hand in to caress each little girl's head. "Kol agreed to the cleansing. Freya texted me... they're almost here. All we've got to do is wait. Hopefully Nik will be back soon."

Alaric came to stand beside her. "And how are you? Do you feel... better?"

She shrugged. "I suppose I feel slightly improved. It's a lot to get used to."

"We can always stay longer than a few weeks, if you'd like. I really don't mind. I won't be starting work until the fall, and we can move everything in a week. The house is small and furniture can be moved in by hired workers."

Hilda shook her head. "No, once the house is ready, we ought to go. Kol isn't keen on staying, either, and he might feel better if he knows he's not the only one straying away. We need the space. I love my siblings, and they can always visit, and we can always pop in here. But being crammed together all the time is not ideal. Especially not with the girls so young."

Alaric drummed his fingers on the table. "Your family... they've improved."

"Yes, they have. I can't imagine how great the improvement must seem from your perspective."

Alaric chuckled. "Well, first, we met your brother Elijah when he tried to take Elena... then Klaus possessed my body before showing his face... after the thing with Jenna we were just absolutely terrified. The Mikaelson name commands a lot of fear and grudging respect. Then Rebekah arrived... then you, Kol, and Finn. I swear, when I was first told about you all being woken up, I was certain I was going to watch everyone die before being killed. If all of you worked together to eliminate a common enemy... jeez, I'd feel bad for that enemy."

Hilda grinned. "Yes, I expect so. I can imagine... if my parents were better people...we'd've been truly unstoppable. Esther, Freya, and even Dahlia with their magic... they alone could take over the world. Mikael, Finn, Elijah, Klaus, Kol, Rebekah, and I with our physical strength and wits... I sort of like the idea of being feared. Not in the sense that I relish in scaring people, but most will choose to stand with us because they know we're the winning team when we're not up against each other."

"I admit... when Valerie told me that you were the one carrying the twins, I was terrified. But now... I feel grateful that it was you and not anyone else. Your sisters are good influences. And your brothers, they make a clear effort to set aside their anger to be gentle around the twins."

She patted his arm with a small smile. "I'm glad you at least don't mind us all being around them. I know we're definitely some of the worst people on the planet, but... we all have soft sides. Even Finn, as you can see."

It was around an hour later when they heard a commotion at the entrance.

Hilda sped down as Freya and Elijah struggled to carry Finn into the couch of the courtyard. "Don't leave me in here!" yelled Finn, thrashing and looking completely crazed. "Don't leave me alone!"

Freya dropped to his side as soon as Hilda took her place to help Elijah lower their eldest brother down. "Hey, hey, hey," she said soothingly, stroking his head. "You're not alone, Finn. I'm here."

Finn let out a wheeze and grasped onto Hilda's arm tightly, staring at her with wild, bloodshot eyes. "Don't leave..."

"I'm not leaving, Finn," said Hilda gently, patting his arm and making him loosen his grip slightly. "I'm right here. Let me just see the bite." She took his other arm and tried not to grimace at the sight of the oozing wound.