Chapter 2

Apparently, Esther's idea of being a family again involved a stupid party.

"Who the hell does she think she is?" snarled Hilda once she and Kol had picked their rooms for the remainder of their stay there. Klaus had gone off to sulk, likely, and Rebekah had gone out on an 'errand.' "She wants to throw a bloody party as if we aren't all angry with each other."

"You know Mother, she has high hopes that we'll get along, but she has no idea what Nik put us through these past thousand years," sneered Kol. He looked up at the ceiling and bellowed, "Finn!"

The door opened seconds later. "You two are just as obnoxious as ever," their eldest brother said with a scowl.

Hilda held up a pair of scissors she'd found. "Be grateful we're fixing you up, you prat."

"Don't leave me looking like a heathen, Hilda," he said in a warning tone as he sat down on a nearby chair.

"Did you find out what bloody year it is, or not?" she said impatiently as she put a nearby towel around his shoulders, bringing back his hair.

"Yes. The year 2010, and it's nearing the end of the month of October."

Hilda and Kol grimaced at each other. "So four years away from being daggered for exactly another century."

"Be grateful you weren't left for nine hundred ruddy years in a box," Finn growled.

Kol and Hilda rolled their eyes before Hilda began to cut Finn's hair. "And you two better hold your tongues," Finn advised. "I'd rather not ruin Mother's plans."

"The sycophant as always," Kol said. "When will you ever get tired of kissing mummy's arse all the time?"

Finn shot up, and Hilda swore loudly. "Now it's going to have to be shorter than you wanted," she snapped, yanking him harshly back into the chair.

"Mind you, Kol, I can still beat you in a fight," Finn said as he leaned back for Hilda.

"After nine hundred years daggered? If Hilda and I are sore after each century, I can't imagine how brittle your puny limbs are feeling."

"I swear to all the gods, Finn, if you move again-"

"Shut up, Hilda!" snarled Finn.

"Don't spat at her like that!" Kol hissed.

"Children."

They looked up to see Esther in the doorway. She looked down at her eldest. "Your sister is being kind enough to cut your hair. Appreciate it."

"Yes, Mother," said Finn grudgingly.

Esther gazed over at the twins. "Just as fiery as I remember you. I hear you've been learning magic over the centuries."

"Can't practice it, though, can we?" Kol muttered. "You took our magic."

Hilda motioned for him to stop. "Let's not argue that right now," she said. "If I fuck up Finn's hair again, he might have to attend the party bald."

"Good," said Esther cordially. "Attempt to get along. It's one night of formalities. Afterwards, I shall not ask you to attend any other events of that nature. Understood?"

The three looked away. "Yes, Mother."

The witch nodded to them and stepped out. Finn scoffed, and Kol kicked the edge of the bed. Once Hilda had finished cutting her elder brother's hair, she beckoned him out of the room and got to cleaning the mess left behind, tossing it in the nearest trash bin.

"I hate parties after what happened in 1914," said Hilda as she went to sit on Kol's bed. "How do we know we won't be murdered this time?"

"The last of the White Oak was used by Nik to kill our father," said Kol. "Not to worry, sister. After this, we'll be free."