Chapter 55

Bonnie and Damon saw them off the next morning.

"Have a safe drive," said the Bennett witch, offering them a smile as she waved.

"Don't get into trouble the instant we leave," advised Alaric as Hilda finished bucking up the twins' new double car seat in the middle of the back row, adjusting all the straps well. She cast a grateful look toward the pair that remained on the sidewalk. "Thank you for everything."

"No problem, Hilly Billy, just remember, no getting frisky on the road," said Damon, which made her roll her eyes and climb into the front seat.

The ride was basically twice as long as it normally would have been.

Hilda could have ridden in the backseat, but Alaric insisted that he didn't mind stopping every hour for the twins to be given what they needed. He said she ought to be comfortable in front and not crammed in the back.

Thus, every hour, they stopped for over fifteen minutes to make sure the twins were properly fed, burped, changed, and entertained, which gave them a chance to stretch their legs for a bit.

They were still several hours away when Freya called. "Wait at least two hours before you continue to make your way home," she said sternly.

"Why?" demanded Hilda. "What happened?"

"Well, for starters, Stefan Salvatore and Caroline Forbes popped in while on the run from Rayna Cruz. They managed to kill her with Klaus's help, but what joy— she regenerates. We've got a problem to deal with and I'd rather you not be anywhere nearby. Hope is with Mary right now... I think things are going to get ugly."

She narrowed her eyes. "Hayley, what aren't you telling me?"

He hesitated, then said, "Aya is attempting to unlink the sirelines. Klaus and Elijah are trapped in a Chambre de Chasse as we speak."

Hilda swore loudly, and the twins started to cry. "Damn it," she said as Alaric pulled over. She balanced the phone on her shoulder as they got out of the car and each took a twin, rocking them in their arms. "That's what Davina didn't want to tell me. Let me guess, they're doing it to try to kill Nik?"

"And to protect themselves. They will not need to protect Elijah if they are no longer linked to him. Please, sister, don't try to come and pitch in. Go and do something entertaining for a few hours then make your way here. I assume all will be well by nightfall. We are attempting to come up with a solution— I believe I have a spell that will help. I beg of you, don't be stubborn. Listen, and stay away."

Hilda sighed. "Alright, Freya. But only because you asked. Please... be careful. Don't let either of them get killed."

"Don't worry, I will keep them safe."

Hilda was nervous when they got off of the highway and stopped in a nearby town to see what they could do. "Maybe we could shop for a stroller," suggested Alaric.

"Yeah, we could," she said, bringing her knees up to her chest.

"And we could get something to eat, we've just been snacking on stuff."

"That might be a good idea."

"And then we could put the new stroller to good use and walk around the park and talk so that you can keep your mind off of your siblings."

She sighed and covered her face. "I'm sorry. I just... this is really bad. If that spell goes wrong, my brothers will be dead before I get to see them and I feel so useless not being able to help. The Strix could kill Hayley and Freya for trying to save them and Davina... they won't really help her resurrect Kol unless this spell goes off without a hitch."