Chapter 9

Hilda awoke on the couch of the Gilbert residence.

Holding her head, she groaned and sat up, seeing Elijah sitting in the chair beside her. "Sister, you've awakened," he said. "How do you feel?"

Looking around, she saw Elena Gilbert, Matt Donovan, and Stefan Salvatore surrounding her. "I feel fine... but what happened?" she asked a bit groggily. "I was... was I dreaming? Alaric..."

"Held you hostage," said Elijah. "Yes, we determined this after Niklaus was desiccated."

Hilda flinched. "He was what?"

She jumped when she heard Damon's voice from the phone laid out on the table. Apparently, they'd been on call with him. "He's desiccated," he said pleasantly. "And you got all kinky with your crush."

"Damon," said Stefan sternly. "That's not funny."

"It's a little funny. I mean, she's pining for the guy and he pulls out the ropes and vervain and the choking on the first date."

Elena groaned loudly. "Damon, leave her alone." She looked up at Hilda. "I am so sorry- I feel terrible. When we realized you weren't accounted for... I'm sorry. Elijah found you."

Elijah nodded. "Now, the matter at hand. My sister was held captive. We must deal with Alaric. Niklaus can remain desiccated- it won't do him any harm."

Stefan pursed his lips as Elijah offered Hilda a glass of blood to drink. "What do you propose?"

"All we need is to take that stake away from him," said Elijah. "Once he's been disarmed, the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth and Alaric will follow us."

"And you'll just run?" asked Stefan.

Hilda gulped down the blood. "Wouldn't be the first time. Klaus and Rebekah specifically have been running from my father for the better part of a thousand years."

"It would ensure Elena is able to live out the rest of her natural life," said Elijah. "My siblings and I will not come in contact with you again. The twins are quite good at moving about and hiding, with their witch connections. Rebekah and I are nearly as good at being discreet. All I would ask is to take Niklaus's coffin with me."

Elena blinked, as if she didn't hear him right. "We've finally stopped him, Elijah. After everything that he's done to us, I can't just let you bring him back."

Elijah leaned forward. "I give you my word, Elena. I will not revive Klaus within yours nor even within your children's lifetimes. Perhaps that will finally teach him some manners."

"Why should she trust you?" asked Matt coldly. "All you've done is screw her over."

Elijah pursed his lips. "And for that, I am deeply ashamed. But know this- she could have been dead the instant I walked through that door tonight, so Elena, I leave it to you to make the decision whether to trust me or not."

"Not!" said Damon loudly through the phone. "Hello? Did that concussion give you brain damage?! His lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!"

Hilda gritted her teeth. "I ended up getting tortured because I helped her. We honor our word, and I can keep Kol in control while Elijah does the same to Rebekah."

Elijah nodded. "If you return Klaus' body to us, Elena will come to no harm."

Elena looked at Stefan as Elijah inquired, "Do we have a deal?"

"No!" exclaimed Damon. "No, no, no, no! Did I mention no?"

Stefan sighed. "Elena, it's up to you."