xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚃𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎 |xx

Start from the beginning

"We've got a major problem," I whispered. "Freiburg is eating dinner downstairs. Finn, you need to go and ask him and the Bachaniellos if they want to have dinner out at a restaurant."

"Uh, isn't it a bit awkward to burst in while they are about to—"

"It has to be done, Finn, no arguments."

"Okay fine. I'll run down there now. Ty, I'll let you know when we're out of the building."

"Sure thing," Ty said.

"You'd better stay hidden in the meantime," I said.

Ty nodded, and we both ducked back inside our rooms. I watched the surveillance camera as Finn approached Mr. Freiburg and the Bachaniellos. For a moment, they just sat there. It looked like they were arguing with Finn. I closed my eyes. Please let this work. Come on, Finn!

After a couple minutes, the group smiled and stood from their chairs. They thanked the wait staff before Finn rushed them from the room.

"Okay we're all set," I said. "I'm going to call Ty." I quickly dialed his phone number.

"Is everything clear?" Ty asked.

"Yes, all clear. When did you say that you would dine with Mr. La Foie?"

"At six. So it's basically that time now."

I checked my watch to see that it was 5:58. "You better go down there."

"Won't the wait staff be confused?" Ty asked.

I hadn't thought of that. Darn it.

"I'll run downstairs and clear things up. You focus on La Foie." I hung up the phone and raced for the door.

"What is it now?" Dari asked.

"The wait staff," I called. I disappeared from the room and ran all the way to the dining room. By now, I was used to running up and down the flights of steps. And all of the patrons at the hotel were used to me tearing through the halls.

I burst into the hotel dining room. The double doors swung wide, knocking against the wall. There was no time to worry about it. I headed straight for the restaurant host standing behind a computer beside the entrance.

"Is everything alright?" he asked.

"Oh, well sort of," I said, lowering my voice. "You see, Franz Freiburg and I are doing a social experiment right now. It's for a study that we're going to report in the convention coming up, so the details are top secret. Anyways, he's going to come down here again, and we would appreciate it if you don't say anything about him dining with the Bachaniellos and Mr. Whincliff."

I was surprised by how smoothly the story rolled out, considering I had made it up on the spot.

"Of course, Mademoiselle," the host said. "But Mr. Freiburg didn't dine with Mr. Whincliff."

I furrowed my brow, glancing at my watch. "Ah, right! Mr. Whincliff comes after Mr. La Foie."

"Oh. So you're doing this experiment with a number of delegates at the convention?"

"Yes, it's been quite the project the last few days. Anyways, thank you for your help." I dashed from the room as Mr. La Foie and Ty were coming down the stairs. I darted to the side of the stairs, hoping Mr. La Foie didn't turn around and see me standing there.

I watched the two pass by. Ty's voice was spot on, both in accent and pitch. Mr. La Foie seemed completely at ease. Good. Our plan is working so far.

I decided it was better to stay downstairs and watch them opposed to going upstairs with Dari. That way Ty had a more immediate backup in case something went wrong. Jax was stationed on the second story, but I could slip into the restaurant and watch what happened in real time.