Chapter 6

19th December 1995

Arthur's attack dissipated Tonks thoughts from Remus. It was odd. Tonks felt guilty somehow. It was Arthur's turn to guard the Prophecy. But it could've been her or Kingsley. It would have been better if it was her. She had no wife and kids to take care of like Arthur. It was a relief to know he was going to be okay. 

Charlie never answered her letter explaining everything. And it was okay. It had been his birthday last week. Tonks sent him a present and everything. But poor thing. He must've found out about his father by now. Charlie must've been worried.  

As she and Mad Eye took the Weasley children and Harry to St. Mungo's, Tonks tried to lighten the mood by distracting Harry. It was interesting that the boy saw the attack on his dream. She suggested perhaps he was a seer. Harry didn't cease to impress her. It was because of him that Arthur was still alive. 

Tonks waited with Mad Eye outside the room. It was better to give them some privacy. Mad Eye seemed in a bad mood, as always. They stood in silence for a while. Just watching healers and wizards passing by. 

"Poor Arthur" Tonks commented "It should've been me"

"Tonks!" Moody protested

"Arthur didn't deserve it"

"Nor did you!" Moody explained but then cleared his throat when he realized what he said "Arthur is fine anyways. Potter would've saved anyone who was attacked"

Moody was avoiding Tonks face. She smiled.

"Mad Eye. You care!"

"What?"

"You care about me, don't you?" 

Moody was red now. "Stop talking nonsense. Tonks"

She laughed. 

They both were silent for a while.

"Do you know where Remus had been lately?" 

Tonks hadn't seen Remus for days. Tonks swallowed trying to hide her crush. This was getting ridiculous. She should forget about him. He was gay and he had Sirius. But Tonks was allowed to care, right? Remus was her friend after all. 

"He spent the full moon with a werewolf pack" Moody whispered. There were too many people around.

"What?" Tonks practically yelled.

"Yes" Moody looked at her like she was crazy "He stayed a few days there to gather as much information as possible. He will be back for Christmas I reckon" 

"It's not fair" Tonks sighed "Dumbledore just sends him there like that?"

"He is with his fellow equals"

"It still could be dangerous for him!"

"Watch it Tonks" Moody's fake eye was looking at her instensly "He is not good for you. And there's no time right now for a romance"

That took Tonks off guard. Was she too obvious? 

"I don't... I..."

"Just be careful" Moody said avoiding her gaze again "I like Lupin but he has too much baggage to deal with" 

Tonks didn't answer. It wasn't her fault to like someone like that. Remus was too complicated, but Tonks didn't care. Anyway, Moody didn't know the whole story. Or Remus' relationship with Sirius. 

Tonks smiled slithly "You care"

That made Moody buff.

* * *