Episode 7

As it was only a two days before the dance and something happened to Y/N that she..was okay with..?

Y/N's POV

As i sat on the living room floor doing homework i felt my phone start to vibrate next to me. I looked to see Justin calling and immediately picked up sitting on the couch behind me.

"Hey!" i said happily.

"Hey... i don't know how to tell you this but..." Justins voice rang through the phone. He didn't sound so happy and it worried me a little. "I'm with my dad.. in Texas." he said.

"What?" i said. I wasn't upset at him for being with his dad. I'm never upset about that. But why didn't he tel me he was in Texas now? Especially when the Prom is so close?

"I know. I know.. i'm sorry i didn't tell you. It's just my dad woke me up at 2 this morning and told me to pack. I didn't know why the whole ride here until..." he said. His voice trailed as if looking what to say. "My moms in the hospital.." he sighed.

'Well i feel stupid' i thought. "Oh Justin, i am so sorry. Is she okay?" i asked dropping my pencil on my book and started to pull my hood up.

"No, yeah. She's okay now she just had complications with her lungs for a moment. We're gonna be here for.. a month to make sure she's okay." he said sounding a bit sad. Why wouldn't he? His moms in the hospital. "I guess we won't be able to go to Prom together.." he sighed.

"It's okay." i said. It's true. I was sad that i won't be able to go to Prom - not to mention my first one - with my boyfriend. "I'm just glad your mom is okay. I promise i'll be fine." i tell him. "Make sure to go to sleep on time and be safe." i say lastly.

He says a small "I will" and we end the call. I couldn't help but think how dumb i was to think of myself when he's going through something way worse. Was i that selfish?

"Hey!" i heard Maddie say calling my attention to the front door. She looked like she just came from a late basketball practice without me.

"Hey." i said getting up and walking with her to the kitchen. "Still no date?" i ask remembering how she had no date yet.

"No." she said a little upset. She grabbed a bottle of water and took a sip. "And.. Diggie's not here to take me and you're going with Justin so i really have no one to go with now!" she said, taking another angry sip of water.

"Yeah well... Justin's in Texas and i'm not going to the Prom." i said fiddling with my thumbs. I hear her ask why and tell her everything. "Well.. His moms in the hospital and i just felt bad only thinking about me. And.. you know i don't want my first Prom to be when i'm dating someone who's not here and go by myself. Plus i don't like dresses." i say adding the last part to make it seem okay.

"Dude.. i'm sorry." Maddie said as she sat down by my side and rubbed my arm. I waved it off to ignore the pity. "Hey. Come shoot some hoops with me." she smiled handing me the ball and heading to the back door.

"Nah.. i got homew-" i said before being interrupted.

"Oh what? You too chicken?" she asked opening the door more. I gave her a nasty look before taking off my hoodie to show my old tee and took off my sweatpants to show my basketball shorts "Wha-" she let out, her face being stunned at how prepared i was.

"Come on. Let's play." i say tossing her the ball. Next thing i know we're playing a very long game.

✨✨✨

After a few hours of playing we were tied 45 to 45. I was winning the first hour but by the second one i got a little lazy. We stood with Maddie holding the ball as Joey and Parker sat on the small steps waiting in anticipation for who would win.