"What sort of arrangement?" Snape eyed her carefully.

"Five o'clock Friday Mr.Snape."

Umbridge walked out of the room. The sound of her heels clicking on the marble floor sent chills up Hemiones spine.

Hermione's eyes welled up with tears. Snape wrapped his arms around her but said nothing. He knew Umbridge was one to keep her promises. He also knew she was a bully with no spine, that's why she came to him and Hermione. Lucius would have eviscerated her.

"Don't worry love, I'll figure something out. Lets not say anything to Lucius just yet." Snape kissed Hermione's forehead.

"That woman is dangerous Severus. What are we going to do?"

"I'm sure I can think of something. I'll not let Lucius take the fall for what I did."

"Severus, your not thinking of turning yourself in."

"To that toad? Absolutely not. Don't worry. I'll find a solution."

That evening Hermione and Snape buried themselves in books as Lucius caught up on his finance reports. Lucius turned in early as he had a long day of meetings. Hermione and Snape told him they would be up in a bit.

Lucius leaned down to Hermione who was curled up in her favorite reading chair and kissed her goodnight. "Don't let the professor keep you up all night." He smiled looking over at Snape.

"I love you." She said to Lucius. "We'll be up in a little bit.

Lucius yawned and nodded. After he had gone upstairs Hermione looked at Severus. "Any ideas what to do?"

"Yes, but don't worry yourself. I've got it figured out." Severus walked over to her. She stood up and hugged him. "I have a contact at the Ministry and think I can work something out. I'll visit him tomorrow and we can put this behind us."

They went upstairs to join Lucius. When they got into bed he was fast asleep. Hermione curled up in Snapes arms. She felt safe in his arms and hoped whatever it was he had planned would work. If not she was dreaming up ways to hex Umbridge. Maybe a memory curse. She really just wished someone would banish her to a remote island. Or Azkaban for simply being a horrible person.

The next morning Hermione and Lucius were having breakfast when Snape walked in.

"Ahh there he is." Proclaimed Lucius. "Where have you been?"

Severus had a somber look on his face. "I was at the Ministry this morning." He sat down and poured some coffee.

"Severus?" Hermione said with worry. He looked as if he were trying to find the words.

"What's wrong Severus?" Lucius said.

"Dolores Umbridge came here yesterday. She apparently saw you drop Gilderoy Lockhart off at St. Mungos after I cursed him."

"That's impossible. I altered my appearance." Lucius looked shocked.

"She knew Gilderoy was coming to see you about his canceled contract. She put two and two together, that he was here and then showed up injured at St. Mugos." Severus continued. "It's all taken care of. They know it was me."

"Severus!" Hermione exclaimed.

He patted her hand. "Don't worry pet, no one is going to Azkaban and Lucius is no longer a target."

"So what?  That's it, you just said I crucio'd Lockhart and they let you walk out?"

"I have to go to Romania. My friend Dameon Duras works at the ministry in foreign relations. We worked closely together in Romania when I was last there. He was transferred back here to recruit help in Romania to work on an anti-venom against vampire bites. It just so happens he dated Umbridge and shall we say has a strong dislike for the woman. I still don't know exactly what she was after with Lucius but she was apparently bitten by a vampire in the dark forest. Dameon explained how close we were to an anti-venom and she agreed that if I could find the cure for her bite I would not be charged."

"Someone actually dated that horrible woman!" Lucius scoffed.

"There's no accounting for taste." Snape replied. "She apparently has some bizarre fetishes, and no I didn't ask. Dameon said he would take care of her if I agreed to take the position in Romania."

"Romania! Severus, how long?" Hermione's brows furrowed.

"A year."

Shock was setting in. "Severus you can't leave for a year. That's completely unacceptable! There must be another way!" Lucius was angry.

Hermione just sat in her chair. She began to shake. She was having trouble catching her breath. It was as if someone knocked the wind out of her. She began to sob. "Severus, this is not fair. You can't leave us." 

Severus knelt down next to her and held her.

"If there were any other way you know I would. I'm so very sorry love."

Lucius pulled his chair over to Hermione and rubbed her back, he put his hand on Snapes shoulder. Lucius felt like someone punched him in the gut. He hated seeing her cry, he hated seeing Snape be made to suffer. He blamed himself for Lockhart.

"This is my fault. Lockhart would have never shown up here if" Snape cut him off.

"No Licius, I'm the one who cursed him. I take full responsibility."

"Stop it! Both of you, it's Gilderoy Lockharts fault! He came here threatening Lucius and attacking me. Who knows what he is capable of. I will not listen to either of you blame yourselves!" She couldn't stop crying.

The rest of the day was a somber one. Snape would have to leave within 48 hours. Lucius and Hermione could visit Severus in Romania but much of his time would be taken up with work.  The best they could do for now was hope Severus could find an anti-venom and return to them as quickly as possible.