Hot and Cold

The next morning I arrived early at the dojo, walking into the building and setting my bag and phone down on the ground. I hear chattering so I slowly walk towards the backyard. When I get there I see Daniel's back facing me and an old man standing in front of him. "Ah, one of your students." He spoke to me.

I raised my eyebrow and walked towards Daniel. "Lydia, what are you doing here so early?" Daniel questioned.

"So your Lydia? My student came to the dojo last night ranting on about your dinner date." He said, clearly trying to start something between Mr. LaRusso and I. "Nice to meet you. And next time Daniel." He said turning back to Mr. LaRusso. "We won't loose. Oh and regards to Mr. Miyagi." A smug smile crept onto his face as he walked away.

A few seconds of silence passed on before Daniel turned towards me. "Dinner date. With a Cobra Kai?" He asked confused.

"It wasn't a dinner date. Just a friend apologizing for something he did, and my surfing buddy was with us." I explained, throwing my arms in front of me and crossing them.

"Okay, but, why are you here so early?" Daniel questioned me again.

"I'm not sure, bored I guess." I shrug, flinging one of my dutch braids over my shoulder.

"Well since your here, do you want to help me set up todays lesson?" He asked me, starting to walk towards the front of the dojo.

"Why not." I answered following him, the gravel crunching beneath me feet with each step.

***

I sat in the backyard, underneath the boiling sun, my head rested against Demetri's knee. Thank god I wore a sports bra today I thought to myself. Beside me, Robby was chugging his water bottle, trying to cool down even in the slightest, our arms brushed together every time one of us moved. "Oh god, it's so hot out." Demetri complained, letting his head fall onto Sam's shoulder. "I'm sweating in places I didn't even know I had pores." He added, his voice sounding horse.

"Oh stop complaining, I've been here since seven this morning." I sigh, taking my head off of his knee and going to stand up. "Anyone want to spare?" I question. "Might as well make use of time." I add, not convincing anyone.

"Alright guys, get out from under that tree, it's time to get to work." Daniel calls from behind me, I turn to see him standing a few feet away.

"Thank you, I came here to not be bored and that's all I've been for the last hour!" I say, giving a glare to the people behind me. Everyone groans and slowly emerges from underneath the shade of the tree.

"Mr. LaRusso, it's like a hundred degrees out can we take it easy today?" Robby asked from behind me. I turn only my head to see him standing there with his shoulders slumped, and his forehead plastered with sweat.

"Are you kidding, this heat wave is a gift." Daniel answers, looking happily at the sky then back at us. "Today you are going to experience shochu geiko."

"Like the car insurance?" Chris asked from behind.

I lean my head to the side, trying to see if I know what that means. "Shochu Geiko is a Japanese exercise where you train on the hottest days of the year. It's about pushing yourself to your limit. The fight isn't always going to come when it's seventy-five degrees and breezy." Mr. LaRusso explains.

"Aren't we supposed to avoid fighting?" Sam asked skeptically.

Daniel paused before answering. "Sometimes you can't, someday the fight may come to you. And I need to make sure your ready, so today we're gonna see what Miyagi-do is made of." Daniel says proudly.