Prologue

666 words (man, crazy how sh*t works out sometimes, am i right?)

We charge into battle, and I'm doing really well. All of a sudden, I feel a pain in my side and I fall off my horse. I look down and see my shirt covered in blood. F*ck. This isn't good. I look around, hoping one of my men will find me, but they've all left. Fled, possibly. I cough up blood. Great. I pull my favorite picture of Alex out from its spot by my heart.

"My love, take your time." I cough again. "I'll see you on the other side." I see blood on the picture. Everything fades to black.

—————

I open my eyes. Where am I? I look down and see my body. Sh*t. I feel a pull towards the other side, but I don't want to go. Alex promised me I could see Phillip after the war was over. Now I'll never get to see him. Suddenly, the pull goes away. I look down at my body. It's see-through. I wish I could see Alex again. I blink, and I'm in a living room.

"Hello?" I call out. "Helloooo?" I say louder. I hear crying in the other room. I follow, and see a baby in their crib. Dam it. I think I woke him.

"Oh, Phillip. What's wrong?" A voice says. I'd recognise that voice anywhere.

"Alex! I missed you!" I go up to hug him, but I go through him. Oh yeah. I forgot. I'm dead. He can't see me. I turn to watch him start to sing to Phillip. God, I almost forgot what his voice sounded like.

"Oh Philip, when you smile I am undone. My son, look at my son. Pride is not the word I'm looking for. There is so much more inside me now. Oh Philip, you outshine the morning sun. My son. When you smile, I fall apart. And I thought I was so smart. My father wasn't around. I swear that I'll be around for you. I'll do whatever it takes. I'll make the world safe and sound for you will come of age with our young nation. We'll bleed and fight for you. We'll make it right for you. If we lay a strong enough foundation, we'll pass it on to you, we'll give the world to you and you'll blow us all away. Someday, someday. Yeah, you'll blow us all away. Someday, someday."

I'm on the verge of tears. I'd forgotten how beautiful his voice was when he sang. I remember one of our drinking songs. "I may not live to see our glory."

Eliza comes in. "Alexander? There's a letter for you from South Carolina."

"But I will gladly join the fight."

Alex brushes it off. "It's from John Laurens. I'll read it later." Did he get my last letter? I'm brought out of my thoughts by the sound of Phillip crying. He must've felt his fathers' emotions.

"No, it's not." What?

"And when our children tell our story..."

"Will you read it?" Alex asks nervously.

"They'll tell the story of tonight."

"On Tuesday the 27th, Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens was killed in a gunfight against British troops in South Carolina. These troops had not yet received word from Yorktown that the war was over. He's buried here until his family can send for his remains. As you may know, Lieutenant Colonel Laurens was engaged in recruiting 3,000 men for the first all black military regiment. The surving member of this regiment have been returned to their masters." What? No! I promised them freedom! They can't be! I break down completely.

Through my tears, I mange to choke out, "tomorrow there'll be more of us."

Eliza moves over to comfort Alex, something I wish were in my power to do. "Alexander, are you alright?"

"Really, Eliza? He just figured out his boyfriend is dead. Of course he's not alright. What the hell did you think he would be? Perfectly fine? No!" I shout. Phillip starts crying harder. "I'm sorry, Phillip."

"I have so much work to do." He walks out.

A/N

Thanks for reading this! I will most likely update on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I might be able to update on other days as well. Love y'all!

-Asher