Chapter 15: Lost in the Whispering Sound of the Breeze

Makoto Tachibana

He ran off.

He just got up and ran away as quick as he could. Before I had the chance to realize what was going on, Haru had already got up and left his birth mother's home.

I sit there, in her home.

She's crying, even though we both know dead-well that Haru didn't run because I'm in the same room as him. It's her fault, for pushing him to his limit.

Little does she know, coming here was so hard for Haru that he was shaky all day. He really didn't want to go, and now he even ran away because he was so scared of this awful woman; who sees her son for the first time in eight years and starts talking about his literal trauma the second he walks in.

I can't blame him, she doesn't quite seem like the motherly type.

I have to leave and follow Haru right now.

"E-excuse me." I get up, just now realizing I have no clue where Haru went. "What way did he go?"

Haru's birth mother sniffles before telling me she saw him running past the window, so he probably went back to Iwatobi. It sounds legit to me so, without telling her thank you for the tea or her hostility, I start running as quick as I can.

I trip over her doorstep, and my cane slides out of my hand. I have no time to search for it, because what if Haru is bringing himself in danger. Or what if he runs away and plans on never coming back to me; I can't live on without knowing he's safe.

I get on my feet as quick as I can and start running again, trying to know in what direction I'm going.

I'm screaming Haru's name at full volume, hoping I'll find him like this.

I have no clue where Haru is.

I have no idea where I'm running to.

But I keep running at full speed, gasping for air through my tears. I don't stop when I fall into a bush and I don't waver before running off the sidewalk. A car honks loudly, the man inside telling me to look out before crossing.

In anger and fear, I yell back that I'm blind and so I can't see him and he should look out instead.

I never knew a shot of adrenaline could even make me act aggressive towards people, but I just cannot deal with cranky people right now.

I have to find Haru, so I just keep running.

My feet move like they haven't ever done before, and as I move through alleyways and go into streets I've probably never been before, I try to remember everything about Haru.

He's scrawny, fragile and shaky and his clothes are way too big for his tiny body.

I take a deep breath and start running harder than I already was.

He has a kind way of writing, and he used to speak in a soft and slightly high-pitched voice; god, I just wish I could hear him right now.

I turn left, and right, and left again. My feet make the decisions, like I'm trying to imagine what way Haruka would do when he's running away from someone he hates.

He has no facial hair and a tiny nose. He says he dark hair and blue eyes, and though I have no idea what that means I feel like Haru's more beautiful than anything else. He must be, if it makes me feel so woozy inside.

I feel woozy right now, but not for the same reason as I did back when he told me how he looks.

I'm way too out of breath and my lungs are starting to feel like they're on fire. It hurts, a lot, with every breath I take. But I know I have to keep myself going if I ever want to find Haru.

I get myself back together, forcing the brain fog to leave.

I have to think straight now.

What is Haru like? And where would he go?

He has had a hard past, nearly no connection with his biological mother and father. He hasn't got any sibling, and the Hirayamas cared for him for quite a while.

I nod, but I know I barely can get any clues from that information.

What else do I know about him?

I know he likes jogging on Monday mornings, and carving wood makes his stress go away.

My heartbeat is rapid, and I think that if I would stop running now I'd probably collapse.

He likes the beach and basic Japanese music.

The beach.

Just like that the earth seems to shove away from underneath me.

Sand, it causes me to slip almost right away.

"The beach," I whisper, taking my hand through the sand. "Haru likes the beach."

The sound of the sea fills my heart with happiness and before I know it tears start streaming over my face. Without knowing I ran to the beach, to the sea.

Of course I ran to the beach, this is where I'm meant to go.

This is where Haru held my hand. Where we took a run over the sand and laughed. This is where I realized that I might feel something for Haru, more than just friendly feelings.

And most importantly, this is the place Haru is most likely to be.

I swallow, shakily getting back on my feet. I'm not even standing steady when I shout his name.

I only now notice how rough my voice is, no surprise when I've been yelling out Haru's name over and over again for almost half an hour.

"Haru!" I shout again, almost falling over. My knees are weak from running for so long, my lungs feel like they're on fire and not even speak about the blisters that I'm sure to have on my feet by now.

I have twigs in my hair and my entire left hand is burning from falling into nettle fiber plants. But I don't feel the pain, and even if I could I wouldn't care, because maybe he's here.

Maybe I'll find Haru again, and I will know he's safe once I can wrap my arms around me.

"Haru!" I shout one more time, as loud as I possibly can.

The next thing I know, the world tilts and a cloud of sand erupts all around me causing me to cough. My throat hurts and I'm exhausted to the point of losing consciousness.

I just wish my voice reached Haru.