~Chapter 22: Confronting Mr. Mertle~

I knocked out the door & we waited for Mr. Mertle to answer the door. We looked back at the boys & they looked at us thinking that this was probably a bad idea.

We then heard a door open & we turned around. Me & Benny were looking with nervous expressions on our faces. Mr. Mertle then looked through the net that was covering the door.

"Hello?"

"This is bad, this is very bad.", Squints said with the boys agreeing with him.

"Umm, we- we brought your dog home.", I said stuttering a little because I was nervous still.

"Hercules? How'd he get out?"

"I'm telling you guys. Shoulda just turned it lose.", Squints said.

"Um-, uh-,", I stuttered until Benny finished my sentence for me.

"Well what happened was, we hit a baseball into your yard. We tried to get it back.", Benny explained.

"So you're the one that's been making all that racket."

"Yes sir, we're really sorry.", I said.

"Bring him and the ball here.", Mr Mertle said as he opened the door. I let go of Hercules' leash & he went inside the house.

I honestly thought that he would look older to be honest. He was wearing overalls & a grey shirt underneath with glasses that look like shades. He wasn't bad as I thought he would be.

Benny gave him the ball & he sniffed it, examining it. That made me & Benny realize that he was blind. I honestly felt bad for him.

"Hmm. This time that anybody got the best of ol' Hercules. Why didn't you just knock the door? I could've gotten it for ya.", Mr. Mertle said.

All the boys except for Smalls started yelling & hitting Squints thinking that they should've listened to Smalls idea from yesterday.

"Hey, we got the ball back, didn't we!?"

"But we almost got killed!", Ham yelled.

"We got the ball back.", Squints rolled his eyes.

Mr. Mertle laughed when the boys were fighting.

"Thanks for bringing him home. Come on in. Well talk about this baseball. Come on.", Mr Mertle said walking inside the house.

Me & Benny looked at each other & we followed him inside the house, with Benny closing the door behind him.

I was honestly scared of what he was gonna tell us. I really hope we don't get in trouble.