8 | PROFESSOR UMBRIDGE

ACT THREE, loss
CHAPTER EIGHT, professor umbridge

           The enchanted ceiling above Iris's head was a miserable, rain cloud grey when she ate breakfast the next morning.

With a whoosh and a clatter, hundreds of owls came soaring in through the upper windows. They descended all over the Hall, bringing letters and packages to their owners and showering the breakfasters with droplets of water; it was clearly raining hard outside. Hermes didn't come swooping down but Iris wasn't surprised. It had hardly been a day since she left and the only people writing to her would be Calypso and Sirius.

Snape moved down the table to hand out schedules and Iris plucked hers out of his hand, ignoring his beady gaze. She took a look at it and groaned when she saw Snape, Professor Trelawney, and Professor Umbridge's names. Double Defense Against the Dark Arts and double Potions stuck out likie a sore thumb to her. Arithmancy and Transfiguration wouldn't be too bad since she was especially good at that and 

"This is the worse schedule I've ever seen!" Pansy screeched. 

"We have O.W.L.'s this year." Daphne gasped like she had just remembered. "I completely forgot!"

Iris groaned because, for a moment, she had to. In June, the fifth year's would have to take the Ordinary Wizarding Level exam. Iris was determined to pass all of her's with flying colors this year which meant devoting more time to subjects she didn't necessarily care enough about to focus all of her attention in (Herbology). 

"Speaking of O.W.L.'s and things that are happening during fifth year," Pansy said casting a side glance over at Iris. "any idea what you're going to do after Hogwarts? Remember we get career advice at the end of the year."

Iris pursed her lips. Life after Hogwarts always seemed so far away to her that she had never given much serious thought to what career she wanted to pursue. She knew that when she did set her mind to something that she'd do whatever it takes to achieve it, but until then she was at a loss. The only job that ever seemed vaguely appealing to her was being an Unspeakable for the Ministry of Magic's Department of Mysteries. Growing up, she'd seen Cordelia work for them and figured it'd be something that she'd quite possibly like. Or becoming a potioneer since she was secretly very good at Potions.

Iris shrugged in response to Pansy. "I don't know."

"I think I want to become an actress. Could you imagine?" Pansy asked excitedly.

"Sure." Iris nodded her head.

Pansy chatted away all throughout Arithmancy and up until they made their way to Snape's dungeon for Potions. Iris wasn't in the mood to deal with Snape today, or anyone for that matter, so she kept her head down. It was one of those days where she felt less talkative than normal which was quite unfortunate because Pansy seemed to never stop talking. Tracey Davis was there to entertain Pansy and Iris was thankful the girl was distracted until Snape walked into the classroom.

"Settle down," said Snape coldly, shutting the door behind him. There was no real need for the call to order; the moment the class had heard the door close, quiet had fallen and all fidgeting stopped. Snape's mere presence was usually enough to ensure a class's silence.

 "Before we begin today's lesson," said Snape, sweeping over to his desk and staring around at them all, "I think it appropriate to remind you that next June you will be sitting an important examination, during which you will prove how much you have learned about the composition and use of magical potions. Moronic though some of this class undoubtedly are, I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my . . . displeasure."