7 | THE SORTING HAT

ACT THREE, loss
CHAPTER SEVEN, the sorting hat

      Harry didn't say anything more on the subject of the horses pulling the carriage, but Iris noticed him looking out of the window repeatedly where the horses would have been. She wondered why she couldn't see them but Luna and Harry could.

"Did everyone see that Grubbly-Plank woman?" asked Ginny.

 "What's she doing back here? Hagrid can't have left, can he?"

 "I'll be quite glad if he has," said Luna. "He isn't a very good teacher, is he?"

 "Yes, he is!" said Harry, Ron, and Ginny angrily. 

Harry glared at Hermione; she cleared her throat and quickly said, "Erm . . . yes . . . he's very good."

 "Well, we think he's a bit of a joke in Ravenclaw," said Luna, unfazed.

 "You've got a rubbish sense of humor then," Ron snapped, as the wheels below them creaked into motion. Iris glared at Ron. She couldn't understand why they were being so hostile towards Luna when they didn't even really know her. Luna did not seem perturbed by Ron's rudeness; on the contrary, she simply watched him for a while as though he were a mildly interesting television program. 

Rattling and swaying, the carriages moved in convoy up the road. The grounds were completely dark, surprisingly. Hogwarts Castle, however, loomed ever closer: a towering mass of turrets, jet-black against the dark sky, here and there a window blazing fiery bright above them. The carriages jingled to a halt near the stone steps leading up to the oak front doors and Harry got out of the carriage first, followed by Iris.

She joined the crowd hurrying up the steps to the castle with Luna at her side.

The entrance hall was ablaze with torches and echoing with footsteps as the students crossed the flagged stone floor for the double doors to the right, leading to the Great Hall and the start-of-term feast. 

The four long House tables in the Great Hall were filling up under the starless black ceiling, which was just like the sky they could glimpse through the high windows. Candles floated in midair all along the tables, illuminating the silvery ghosts who were dotted about the Hall and the faces of the students talking eagerly to one another, exchanging summer news, shouting greetings at friends fromother Houses, eyeing one another's new haircuts and robes.

Iris quickly depared from the group and went to take her normal place at the Slytherin table with the fifth-years but noticed Theo and Blaise sitting far away from her.

"Care to explain why you were sitting with Harry Potter instead of with me?" Pansy asked, annoyance lining her tone.

"Didn't feel like changing compartments after I'd already sat down." Iris said distractedly. She turned her gaze from Theo and let out a long sigh.

"What happened with you and Theo?" Daphne Greengrass spoke up. Iris's eyes snapped towards her, confused as to why Daphne was speaking to her and why Daphne expected her to answer that question since they weren't even friends. Daphne clamped her mouth shut and an embarassed blush formed on her face at the look Iris was giving her.

"What did happen between you and Nott?" Pansy asked. "Don't tell me you two broke up."

Iris stared at Pansy who gasped dramatically.

"You did! Why?" Pansy peppered her with questions.

"I don't want to talk about it." Iris said. Pansy rolled her eyes.