He had started ignoring her ever since she called him out on his behavior, and Lilith was ready to give him a piece of her mind, or better yet, tell her father about the slimy git (as Ron would say, not Lilith because she's too sweet).

The rest of the team hung back to talk to one another as usual at the  end  of  practice,  but  Harry, pulling Lilith with him much to her protests,  headed  straight  back  to  the  Gryffindor  common  room,  where  he  found  Ron  and  Hermione  playing  chess.  Chess  was  the  only  thing  Hermione  ever  lost  at,  something  Harry and Ron thought was very good for her.

"Don't  talk  to  me  for  a  moment,"  said  Ron  when  Harry  sat  down  next  to  him,  "I  need  to  concen-"  He  caught  sight  of  Harry's face.

"What's the matter with you? You look terrible." Speaking  quietly  so  that  no  one  else  would  hear,  Harry  told  the  other  two  about  Snape's  sudden,  sinister  desire  to  be  a  Quidditch  referee.

"Don't play," said Hermione at once.

"Say you're ill," said Ron.

"Fake your death." Lilith suggested, earning looks from the trio. "What?"

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.

"Really break your leg," said Ron.

"Break Snape's leg." Lilith grinned, before widening her eyes at her own suggestion. "Sorry, I didn't mean to say that. Fred and George has been rubbing off on me." She frowned.

"That's a good suggestion." Ron smirked, a mischievous twinkle much like his brothers, visible on his eyes.

"I can't," said Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all. Besides, Snape will definitely put the blame on us when his leg is broken."

At  that  moment  Neville  toppled  into  the  common  room.  How  he  had  managed  to  climb  through  the  portrait  hole  was  anyone's  guess,  because  his  legs  had  been  stuck  together  with  what  they  recognized  at  once  as  the  Leg-Locker  Curse.  He  must  have  had  to  bunny hop all the way up to Gryffindor Tower. Everyone  fell  over  laughing  except  Hermione,  who  leapt  up  and  performed the counter-curse. Neville's legs sprang apart and he got to his feet, trembling, and Lilith who frowned at everyone else laughing, before making his way to help Neville up.

"What happened?" Lilith asked him, leading him over to sit with Harry and Ron.

"Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go  to  Professor  McGonagall!"  Hermione  urged  Neville.  "Report him!" Neville shook his head.

"I don't want more trouble," he mumbled. "You've got to stand up to him, Neville!" said Ron.

"Ron's right." Lilith agreed, not liking the way her friend was in the brink of tears.

"He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."

"There's  no  need  to  tell  me  I'm  not  brave  enough  to  be  in  Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that," Neville choked out.

Harry  felt  in  the  pocket  of  his  robes  and  pulled  out  a  Chocolate  Frog,  the  very  last  one  from  the  box  Hermione  had  given  him  for  Christmas. He gave it to Neville, who looked as though he might cry.