(26) End of the road

Alyssa bit her lip as she let out a breathy laugh.

"See.. you're gonna laugh, I don't have any evidence,"

George face palmed as the judge's face contorted to that of pure and other disbelief.

"What she means to say is that we do have evidence, we just... don't?"

"If you fail to present valid evidence to the court then I am sorry, but that only gives us reasoning to proceed with what we planned."

"No- wait, just.. give me a minute.."

"I've seen enough thank you."

Alyssa took a step forward as George made eye contact with Clay, he had mouthed something to the other.

The judge sighed and grabbed the gavel, "By the power of the supreme court and jury we nearby sentence, Clay Brighton to-"

"Are we late?"

The judge flinched in frustration and anger as they furrowed their eyebrows and clenched their jaw.

George turned and visibly felt himself go pale.

"Aunt Rita?"

Behind his aunt was Niki who stood breathless with a cardboard box in her arms.

"Come on Judge Cleveland, I have evidence that I'd like for you to see."

"This case is already closed," Camerons' voice rang from the front, yet his aunt simply shook her head.

"You are all going to listen to me and you're all going to pay attention."

George watched as his aunt took the heavy box from Niki's arms and made her way to the judge.

"I have documents, letters, visual evidence, and an entire explanation."

The judge scanned the papers and nodded.

"Proceed,"

His aunt smiled at him with tired eyes, "The wrong person is on the stand."

Niki stood next to Alyssa and George as everyone's gaze was cast to his aunt.

"Cameron, how long have you known George?"

Cameron shrugged, "Around 4.. 5 years?"

His aunt simply nodded, "Mr.Brighton, do you love my nephew?"

Cameron furrowed her eyebrows, "How is this relevant to the case?"

His aunt sent her a glare as she narrowed her eyes at Clay.

"Do you love my nephew?"

Their eyes met once again and it felt as though it were for the first time all over again.

"Yes... I do," It was a breathless whisper and it knocked all wind out of George's lungs.

His aunt smiled, "Good."

She turned and stared at Cameron, "Cameron, you've been lying to everyone here haven't you?"

The brunet raised an eyebrow, "The hell are you talking about?"

"Don't you find it strange how my sister couldn't get in contact with her son even after you announced the biggest case of the year was closed?"

Cameron scoffed, "First of all-"

"Isn't it also quite the coincidence that just 3 weeks before the deaths of my family, you suddenly have a business trip to go to?"

Cameron's eyes narrowed slightly.