'I'm a girl'

☆No POV☆

"Do you reckon dogs look at police dogs and think... oh, it's the police?" Max blutered out. Flo glanced up at him, eyebrow quirked. "What? It's a genuine question." Max defended, voice going a little squeaky. Flo chuckled at his attempt to defend his questionable thoughts. What really went on inside his mind intrigued her. She found herself admiring him for all his glory, even if he was acting like a child half the time. It had been less than 24 hours since they had met, and although Flo clearly vibed with Harvey, she also took a liking to Max. He had a certain aura around him, a certain type of glow that only he could give off. He felt safe, comforting, peaceful. Unlike Harvey, he had no storms brewing inside of him, no hidden secrets, no edgy vibes. It was clear to Flo that Max was the calmer, more collected twin. He was the one who came up with all the plans. He was the one who would go that extra mile to prove a point. She liked that about him. She liked that she felt at ease with him, she felt at home.

"How long do you reckon it will take until we find a shop?" Flo asked. It had been a question on both their minds. Their thoughts consumed by how on earth they were going to manage to survive with each other. Max looked at the smaller brunette next to him, his eyes following behind her and attaching to the utility lines running just above the trees.

"The utility wires look like they lead somewhere." Flo looked up at the boy, his head nodding towards the thick, oak branches. Flo glanced back at the ground. Silence overtook the empty space again. Flo's eyes focused on her shadow, the sun's ray's casting upon her and Max the further they walked down the dirt path.

"How long do you think we've been walking?" Her voice was inaudible, the birds sweet symphonies overpowering her.

"About 20 minutes now." Max answered. She nodded, although she didn't expect an answer considering her voice was so quiet. Once again, silence fell upon the duo. The souls of their shoes scraped against the dirt below. With every step, dust particles would float up, creating a cloud of dust beneath their feet. Slight rustling made the trees leaves sway from side to side.

"Tell me about yourself." Max chirped up.

"Sorry?" Flo questioned, her daydream stopping once she heard Max's voice.

"Well, you girls seem to know a lot about me and Harvey. I want to know about you." Max seemed genuine with his answer but Flo wasn't going to trust him that easily. She cleared her throat before talking.

"I'm a girl."

"I can see that. I meant deeper than that. You know, like your hobbies or favourite song. That sorta stuff." Flo quirked an eyebrow.

"Why should I tell you? You could be a secret agent disguised as a cute boy." She challenged.

"You think I'm cute?" Max smirked, completely missing the point.

"That wasn't the point." Flo scolded.

"But you said it."

"It just slipped out. I didn't mean it like that."

"So, you think I'm ugly?"

"No. Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Play with my words! Don't flip them around. I never said you were ugly, I said you were cute. Now can we move on from this topic?"

"So you do think I'm cute?"

"Fine! Yes, I admit it. I think your cute." Max had a look of smugness on his face as Flo lectured herself about slipping up and letting her feelings out.

"Why thank you. You don't look so bad yourself." Max smirked, continuing on the topic despite Flo's protests not to. Her cheeks heated up, a sense of comfort, warmth, safety running up her body. It spread everywhere and anywhere, making her feel like she was floating on a cloud, drifting off into the sunset. Just like before, a pause of silence fell between the two teenagers, their own thoughts consuming them from the outside world.

"How long do you reckon we will have to stay in lockdown?" Flo subconsciously asked, not meaning to let it slip out but also wanting an answer.

"They're thinking about three months, maybe more. But from where I'm standing, I think this is going to be the new normal for quite some time."

"Do you really think we can survive all that time on our own? I mean, we are struggling to find a shop. How do you possible think we will be able to find other things? We can't live in these clothes forever." Flo gestured down at her outfit. She had blue, faded, skinny jeans and a grey, baggy, oversized hoodie. A buttoned up shirt was wrapped around her waist, giving the outfit a final touch.

"Let's just hope we find a shop that sells clothes as well." A beat of silence entered and vanished as quick as it came.

"I'm 17."

"Sorry?"

"Your question from earlier. I'm 17. Love sports but my asthma stops me enjoying it most of the time. My favourite colour's turquoise and I'm definitely not into girly shopping and girly things. I love to play video games and I have two dogs. I live with my parents and baby sister and I hate marmite." Flo smiled at the taller boy who was admiring her. "Your turn."

"Well, I'm 18. Love sports - unless it's hockey - and I don't have asthma. My favourite colour's blue and I'm definitely into boyish things like football. I hate playing video games - unless it's Call Of Duty and I have two dogs. I live with my parents, twin brother Harvey, little brother Leo and little sister Tilly and I also hate marmite." The taller boy smiled down at the girl. Smiles were on their faces as they glanced at one another every so often. Flo had been dreading the hunt to find the shop, preferably opting to stay at the cabin with Harvey and Lucy but Max wouldn't allow that. He convinced her to tag along, promising not to ask too many questions and not talk about bacon bits which he had kept so far. Although it was only early days, Flo was starting to take a liking to Max.

Maybe he isn't that bad after all.