XXII

Timothy still hadn't returned at 4 a.m, not that the team had noticed. The conversation had quieted down into an occasional soft murmur. Steve was slowly sinking lower and lower, only to shoot right up when his head falls off the hand it was leaning on. Natasha was as awake as ever and still taking resident on the floor, apparently not minding the uncomfortable position. Her head leans against Clint's leg. The archer's mind seems to be elsewhere, his fingers abstractedly twisting small portions of the red locks into braids. Which, Tony had to admit, weren't looking half bad.

Thor had moved to sit on the armrest of Bruce's couch, telling the exhausted doctor stories about Asgard and his youth. Thor appeared to be the most awake of all but his voice was softer and he seemed less enthusiastic. And Tony, Tony was just zoning in and out, his stomach full of coffee.

"Hey Tony, did you put something in the fire? It keeps flickering green."

It seemed that the redhead had repeated herself a few times before Tony had noticed that she was addressing him. He gazed at the fire in thought.

"No, it's been burning on its own. Magic and all that."

Steve huffs, "Is that a thing now? Giving magic as the explanation for everything?"

"Maybe that's why it's turning green? That the spell or something needs to be renewed?"

"You know, Romanoff, you might be onto something."

The billionaire stands up and inspects the fireplace, setting his eyes on a small container filled with dust. He grabs a handful, running his fingers through the soft sand. 

"What is it?"

"Some kind of powder. It seems logical that he would keep it close so my best bet is that this is it."

"So what?" Bruce asks, "You're going to throw some unknown dust into a magical fire? What if the green color means 'explode' or 'release evil magic'?"

"Look, Bruce, just because the other guy's green and that mostly means trouble doesn't mean that all green is like that." And with that he throws the powder into the fire. It flickers for a moment before settling down into an even orange color.

Tony faces the rest, "See, nothing to worry about. I got this magic thing all figured out."

"Timothy! Do you have any news on Amelia?"

The genius jumps up with a cry at the sudden voice. He finds the origin in the form of a head inside the fireplace. He let's out a very manly yell after seeing that.

"There is a head in the fire!"

"You don't say!" Tony sarcastically remarks.

"It's a demon! Yeah, you got this magic thing really figured out! Who knows what kind of thing we have unleashed now! We only just got out of a war!"

"Bruce-" Thor starts as an attempt to calm down but Bruce's fierce glare stops him.

"Yeah, because Timothy is really the type of person to leave the powder capable of summoning a demon on the mantle of a fireplace!" Tony sarcastically shoots back.

"Who are you people?"

"Your British." 

The figure in the fire seems taken aback by Natasha's statement, "Yeah, I am but who are-"

"I always knew that there was something shady about that accent!"

"Clint for fuc-"

"Shut it!"