XXI

"NEXT!"

The rough voice brings Amelia out of her daze. The spot before her was empty. She blinks as she feels a pull at her body, Marcus ushering her to take a hop forward in the line. The auror was grumpy, not pleased with the fact that he needed to stay on the island with Amelia until he could drop her of into her cell. The fact that other criminals were burning their eyes into his body with hatred wasn't helping his mood either. His uniform sticking out between all the gray overalls even in the dark room they were in.

"NEXT!"

The two of them were almost at the front. Amelia's eyes feel heavy and the darkness of the room makes her zone out again. Her mind taking her back to the moment with Bonneville before.

________________________________________________________________________________

"You silly, reckless girl."

Marilyn Bonneville leans against a desk, arms crossed as she inspects Amelia. Marcus was tilting Amelia's head up so she faced the head auror. The woman was grinning, looking far to smug and if Amelia hadn't already lost her fake leg, the witch would have taken it off herself so she could beat the woman with it. Or knock herself out, whatever she could hit first.

"I'm thirty years old. I'm pretty sure that earns me the title 'woman'."

Smack. Amelia's face falls to the side, Marcus forcefully grabs her head and tilts it back faced forwards. Lia's vision blackened for a moment but it still caused a smile to appear on her face, paired with a feeling of satisfaction. Bonneville's hit hurt, but she remembered that she gave Loki three of those. Well, she gave them with a fist but that only made it better, it meant that he had felt pain too. Now that she thinks about it, she remembers giving Bonneville a punch as well. Her smile only getting brighter.

She lets out a small laugh, an overly dramatic scandalized look on her face, "A slap? How muggle of you Bonneville, I didn't know you had it in you."

"Amelia."

"Yes?"

"Do shut up!"

"Oh I don't think that I will."

She laughs again, even as Bonneville surges forward and squeezes her hand around her chin. Her nails digs deeply into Amelia's face, the grip harsh enough to draw blood. The words spoken between them were so similar to those on the day she had gotten her assignment. Only then she still admired the woman before her. Now, however, she spits into her face.

The grip on her face tightens. Her body squirms unconsciously, her flight instincts appearing without her say so. She scolds her body for reacting that way. Didn't it know that it couldn't run anywhere with only one leg? Bonneville uses her other arm to wipe away her spit, too angry to think logical.

"Don't tell me you just wiped it on your sleeve?" Amelia mocks her, the words repeating the ones from Bonneville before in a nagging childish voice. 

The hand on her face was suddenly around her neck. Breathing was failing her as the woman squeezed and lifted her up, staring straight into Amelia's eyes with her crazed ones. Even when the edges around her vision were slowly turning black she couldn't make herself seem to care. Amelia was just glad that she could get under the vile woman's skin.

"Madam Bonneville!"

Marcus' voice seemed to shake the head auror out of her daze. She replaces her hand with her wand, digging the weapon into her neck.