Chapter VI

"Saturn"

Atlas: Year One

Sleeping at Last

Days turn to nights as the sun began to set again. The two lovebirds have been out for roughly 45 or so minutes. I really couldn't tell what or where they were doing but, they were kids. I let them be. It's honestly been a while since I've ever been on the receding end of this bullet, because when Charlotte and I used to date, we would simply just go out as troublemakers. Hit up the local convenience store and share slushies until out tongues would be different shades of red, blue or until our brains couldn't take anymore. Then we'd try and spend as much pocket change we had left over at the arcade and try to get filled up before sundown. That was until our mothers would be on the hunt for us and give us a good talking to for staying out too late.

Ah, those were good times. Now with more advanced technology and tracking software and such, we know exactly where our child is. Now I didn't want to be that guy and intrude on such a new chapter in Rosalie's life, but I did feel a bit overprotective. I remember the talking to the other night that Charlotte's given me. She headed for the kitchen to prepare dinner. "Honey, you want to defrost the meat for me?" I approached my wife, felt her warm embrace and reached for a bowl on the top cabinet. I pulled out some beef from the freezer and placed it in the bowl, after drenching it with lukewarm water. "I'm guessing we're having pasta tonight." I remarked. "Smart as ever Jerry." My wife laughed back. "Have you heard from Rosie yet?" I asked.

"No, not that I know of; why?"

"Some guy named Chris is supposed to take her out for this date or something."

"Aww, just like we used to do." My wife squealed.

"Yeah, used to."

"What's wrong?"

"Oh nothing, it's just, I miss the old times; where we'd go out and just enjoy ourselves and grab a bite after getting to know each other. You remember how often we'd spend our lunch periods in the library."

Charlotte started blushing. "That Moby Dick report wasn't going to write itself." She joked.

"You read that book like eight times!"

"But you had a good time, didn't you?"

I nodded my head and began heating up a pot of water for the pasta. "Your point is?" Charlotte asked.

"My point is, everything used to be so complex back then. Now, you'd just ask them on a date and they'd be swooned with a cheap fast food gimmick."

"We did that too, but you don't realize it."

"I guess so, but I hope you're seeing what I'm trying to get at here."

"I do," Charlotte said, handing me a mixing spoon and some salt. "Now mix this good this time, I hear you're not as good cooking than you are playing the piano."

Suddenly the doorbell rang, and Rosalie came rushing down the stairs. Her dress skirt and jean jacket flew in the air as she rushed down the stairs to get the door. "Chris! You made it!" Chris was wearing a red hoodie and brown pants, holding a cheap bouquet of flower in his hand. "Oh, this is, uh for you." He handed Rosalie the flowers awkwardly. Charlotte approached the door and greeted Chris. "You must be the boy Rosie here's been talking about, and I mean talking about!"

"Mom!" Rosalie said embarrassed. Rosalie led Chris into her room by pulling his sweater sleeve up towards the stairs. "Nice to meet you!" Chris replied as he was dragged away upstairs. "Seems like a nice kid," Charlotte replied to me. "I don't see why you're so grumpy." I couldn't stay mad at her forever because she was right. Suddenly a man came into the house, a leather pilot jacket covered his navy tee shirt. "And you are?" Charlotte asked, unaware of the second guest. "Oh, I'm Chris's father. Name's Paul, pleasure to meet the parents of such a talented little girl."