Six, I slapped him

I put my earphones in my ears and play my favorite playlist on Spotify. I'm writing in my journal, expressing my thoughts and feelings about the things that occurred during the last few days.

It's break time, and I only have one class left. I'm sitting on one of the benches on the side of the cafeteria. The cafeteria is busy, and the line to get food is enormous. The chattering is overwhelming and loud, mostly the reason why I put my earphones in my ears.

Music always has helped me concentrate and focus. Yet, this time it isn't precisely working. I'm distracted by the presence of the slightest things, like birds chirping in the tree outside during class, causing me to stare at them. Maybe it's the lack of sleep. I didn't get any sleep last night, mostly because my mind was full of thoughts.

"What's wrong? You have been irritated for the whole morning." Emily takes place on the bench, right next to me. Her blonde hair is hanging down over her shoulders, and her brown eyes look at me worriedly. She's wearing blue ripped mom jeans with a white crop top.

It isn't so hot today. The summer weather is slowly changing into fall weather. The perfect weather to exchange the shorts for a pair of jeans.

"Nothing, I just haven't got any sleep last night. My mind is too full of thoughts, and every time I closed my eyes, I saw parts of the accident flashing by. I don't understand why I can't forget the whole thing. It would give me so much peace and rest." I sigh deeply and close my journal.

"Amelia, you do know it's normal to have nightmares about such a traumatic event, right? Your mind needs to process these things, and you don't give it the time it needs. You don't allow yourself to move on and have peace with what happened." I let her words sink in, thinking about them. Emily has always given me the best advice she could. Yet, the things she says are a bit spiritual.

"When did you get so wise?" I joke, and Emily smiles. She knows I always avoid talking about it. I have never told anyone precisely what happened. I know how badly she wants to know, but she keeps her mouth shut. She doesn't push me to talk about it, but I know she will always be there for me.

"I was always the wise one, remember?" She changes the subject, knowing I want to avoid the other topic. I don't think I've ever met someone who understands me so well without words.

"No, you were not, but I'll let you think whatever you believe." I grin, and she gives me a little push. I take a bite from my oreo cookie.

"Anyways, did you hear the newest gossip? Apparently, some girl has given flowers to Cameron Jones, which he rejected, of course. She was in tears, and some girls heard her cry in the ladies room. Can you believe that?" Emily raises her eyebrows, and she has an unbelievable look on her face.

"Yes, I can, which is a bad thing. The girl must feel terrible right now. It's a huge risk to take, that's for sure. Everybody knew he would reject her, and she must have thought about it too." Everybody here loves to gossip about others, filling their lives with drama. Emily and I only listen to gossip.

"I wonder what was going through her mind when she did it. Do you think that she would have known this could've happened?" Emily looks in front of her, wondering about her question.

"Cameron is a bad boy. I'm pretty sure she should have known that her tries could fail. That's obvious. Yet, I admire her for her braveness." I say after thinking about her question for a couple of minutes. You need to be brave to take such a huge risk. Emily nods, agreeing with me.

"My mom dropped my bag off at your place, by the way. She needed to be in town anyway, and I forgot to bring my stuff." Yes, I forgot to bring my bag for the sleepover tonight. I had a busy morning, and I was tired. Tiredness definitely doesn't do wonders to my memory or my brain.