Chapter 70 - My favourite place isn't really a place, it's a person

Start from the beginning

I washed and dried my hair, chose a nice outfit and even put on a little bit of make-up to hide the bags that displayed the lack of sleep of the past one and a half month.

"Someone looks really, really beautiful", Draco smirked as I walked in. He stood up from the bed and wrapped his arms around my waist, giving me a quick kiss on my lips.

"I'm obviously talking about me", he joked, which made me chuckle. I could see the excited glint in his eyes when I smiled and it made me sad that I couldn't give him more of those.

"Are you ready to go, love?" he asked. He had recently decided to steal my nickname for him, so now I was yet again left without one for him. I nodded. He grabbed a bag from his dresser and held my hand in his as his other grabbed his wand. I closed my eyes as we apparated away.

"Where the hell are we?" I frowned as we landed in a field, no houses anywhere near.

"Somewhere in East-Devon", Draco shrugged, pulling me along a small trail that ran up the hill.

"What in Merlin's name are you planning? Are you going to kidnap me and keep me locked up somewhere where no one will find me?" I said. It didn't even sound that bad right now. Draco shook his head with a smile, but didn't say anything. He just pulled me up the hill.

"Oi, Lea!!" I heard. I looked at Draco confused, who wore an amused smile. I stepped a little further so I was at the very top of the hill and looked down, being pleasantly surprised by the sight.

Tracey, Daphne, Blaise and Theo were standing at the bottom, all waving at us. I looked back at Draco, who was smiling like an idiot.

"I figured you'd like to see some different people", he shrugged. I hadn't written to any of them and I hadn't received any of their letters either as they either got intercepted, or arrived at Selwyn Keep.

I walked down the hill, but it soon turned into running as the excitement took over. It felt good to see them again.

"It's so nice to see you!" I said as I pulled Daphne and Tracey into a hug. I then went over to Blaise and Theo to do the same. Draco casually strolled down the hill, very pleased with the effect of his gift.

"You invited them?" I asked, to which he simply shrugged.

"Thank you", I whispered as I kissed him softly.

"Now please explain to me why you haven't replied to any of my messages, Miss Selwyn", Tracey said, crossing her arms. I chuckled and sat down.

Draco emptied his bag, which contained mostly food the elves had prepared. He had organised a little picnic with my friends for my birthday, which made my heart swell.

I told them almost everything, just because I felt like it. I told them about my father and my mother and how I was staying at Malfoy Manor. The parents of all my friends were connected to Lord Voldemort's side, so I knew that they would neither judge me or tell on me. I didn't tell them about Draco's task or about the current situation at Malfoy Manor, but I told them all I needed to get off my chest.

We talked about our worries for the upcoming school year and for the first time in a very long time, I felt completely understood. I felt like I was not the only one stuck on a side that they didn't believe in. I felt like maybe, I would have a choice in the end, just like Daphne, Tracey, Theo and Blaise. And hopefully Draco, hopefully he had a choice too.

And I smiled for the first time in a very long time. I smiled genuinely for longer than a split second. I laughed when Tracey told me about her parent's reaction when they caught Blaise in her bedroom and when Blaise told us about how awkward the following day was, when he was supposed to arrive.