30 Olivia Was Not a Priority

Olivia smiled at him. "It's ok, I forgive you." She handed him the book. "This belongs to you more than me anyway"

He smiled at her and kissed her forehead. "I can read it?"

Olivia looked up at him, he was so gentlemanly. He didn't start out that way in the beginning. But he was very good to her. He even believed that she came from another planet.

'Who even does that? Who but him would just believe me with no doubts about me being crazy? Or a witch. This guy is just so...' She lifted herself a bit and kissed him on his cheek. She smiled at his reaction. His whole body stiffened in shock. She sat back against him and said in a quiet grumbling voice, "I already said it was yours."

Adarian threw the diary to the side. "Do that again."

She could practically see his tail wagging asking for a treat. She blushed and covered her face in her hands. "Argh!" She turned and hid at his side. She peaked up at him only to see his beaming smile and sparkles in his eyes when he was looking at her.

He saw that she was done hiding and he put his cheek out and closed his eyes for her to kiss his cheek again. Olivia got a mischievous thought in her head and acted on it impulsively. She got on her knees and supported herself by putting one of her hands on his closest shoulder. She leaned over and kissed the other side of his face. Before he could react she lay down and covered herself with the banket. "Let's sleep early," she said from under the covers.

Adarian was smiling brightly and his hand subconsciously went to his cheek. 'This little temptress... Does she even know what she's doing to me?' He got out of the bed and put the Diary in the secret compartment with their engagement contract. He looked over at the lump under the covers. She forgot to put the pillows between them.

He still needed to hold himself back with her a little. He knew she was delicate deep in her heart. She understood far too much about 'trauma' as she called it. "Good night my lovely wife." He lay down close enough to pull her into his arms, but refrained from doing so.

Olivia Carter had fallen asleep pretty quickly. She and Adarian had stayed up late into the night the past three nights since she began living there. She hadn't slept well at all since she had found herself in the body of Olivia Praxis. She was frightened by the fact that she could be caught as an imposter the entire time. She also didn't know when she would run into Graciella and be tormented by her. She felt safe and secure the moment she felt Adarian in the bed close to her and fell asleep.

...

...

Olivia Carter really didn't want to be here. She waited in the taxi looking up at the elaborate iron gates. She was not welcome here. She knew she would likely be turned away at the gate, or worse. But she had no choice. She had to try.

She steeled herself and tried to calm down her heart. She gripped the rosary around her neck. Four seconds breathe in. Four seconds hold it in. four seconds breathe out. Four seconds hold. The navy breathing technique sometimes worked miracles. She repeated this until she felt her heart calm down. The last thing she needed was to faint at this house. She was ok. The worst thing he could do was say no.

She pushed the button in the intercom. Thankfully he was the one who answered. "Olivia?" He said in a shocked tone. "Why are you here? You know you can't be here right?" his eyes and voice had gone cold.

"Can I talk to you?" She asked him. She knew he would react this way. He didn't want her to ruin his perfect happy family. She knew this so she had tried to get in contact with him several different ways before finally giving up and coming in person. She had called his cell phone and left several messages. She had emailed him. She had called his office and left messages with his secretary. He never called her back.

But now she had no choice. She had to show up in person to beg. She would never bother him if she didn't need the money. He had never done anything for her before. This was the least he could do.

As Olivia waited she breathed using the Navy breathing technique. The car came out of the driveway quite almost twenty minutes later. Olivia was not a priority to this man.

"Get in," He said angrily. "You can tell me why you came here instead of calling my secretary while I drive you home."

The ride to her home was 38 minutes long if there was no traffic. She got in the car hoping that was enough time to convince him. Explaining that she had already exhausted her means of contacting him would take up too much time.

As he turned onto the highway Olivia began to explain. She had waited this long because she didn't want him to become angry and drop her off in a random neighborhood again. "I need 20 thousand dollars to keep her hospitalized."

He almost slammed on the breaks. He was on the highway. Clever girl. She waited til he was on the highway to ask him for money. If she hadn't been so defective he might even be a little proud of her. "Twenty thousand dollars? She isn't worth that much."

"The government funding has run out for her. Please," Olivia pleaded. "She still needs to be hospitalized."

"You're going to beg me for her? After all she's done to you?" He shook his head.

"They are going to release her if we don't pay." She looked at him incredulously. "She is a danger to herself and others. That is why I am asking you for money. I can take care of myself just fine, but I can't take care of her."

"She's YOUR mother. She's nothing to me. You deal with her as you see fit." He saw her trying to calm her breathing. She better not faint in his car again.

"Mr. Carter." Olivia got his attention. She hadn't called him dad or father since the first time she had met him. "I have never asked you for anything before. This is the only favor I will ever ask you. If you want to we can draft up a contract. I will pay you back every penny. Just do this one thing for me and I will not go to the media about our circumstances." She really couldn't believe she had to resort to threats.

"Fine," He said, there was a big business deal he was working on. The CEO of that company really emphasized family values. If this came out in the media that he once slept with a crazy lady and left his daughter to be raised by the system... He handed her his phone and told her the password. "Transfer the money to yourself."

He dropped Olivia off three blocks from her neighborhood. He thought it was strange that Olivia was ashamed to be seen with him. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Olivia could feel his glare on her as she walked and turned the corner to go into the CVS. She didn't want him looking at her anymore. She was glad she had made this decision. About three weeks later, when she was on the verge of eviction, her father sent her a bill. She knew she was in trouble. She had no way to pay right now. The neighbors were arguing again. Slam. something slammed into the wall causing some of her pictures to fall off the wall. She sliced her finger picking up the glass. Seeing the blood on her hands she began to hyperventilate.

...

...

Olivia woke up in a cold sweat and sat up quickly. She was breathing hard. "I'm ok, I'm ok. I am safe here. I'm Ok." Adarian wrapped his arms around her and comforted her. She reminded herself that she was in a safe place. She reminded herself that when she was with Adarian she was safe. She was grateful for his arms around her. He heard her mumbling and said, "It's ok. It was a dream. I'm here. I'll protect you."

When she had calmed down he looked at her face worriedly and asked, "Are you ok now?"

Olivia nodded. She got tears in her eyes that refused to fall. She wiped them away and smiled at him. "I'm ok now."