Chapter 3

Spencer stared numbly through the window of the suburban, watching the trees pass by in the darkness as they headed down a beaten gravel road to a small quarry. His brain overanalyzing what he saw, from the kids terrified faces to the sounds of the bombs whistling through the air just before hitting the ground. He tried to stop his mind from wandering too far, from memorizing things it didn't need to, but it almost seemed pointless.

He could picture what the city looked like in almost vivid amount of detail, he could see the crumbled shops and knew their where probably countless corpses stumbling around the broken roads. It made his stomach churn and his eyes water. He glanced back at his team for a moment, needing to just see them for a moment.

Garcia was crying into Morgan's chest, and Rossi was staring numbly at the back of Daryls truck, following him as several other cars followed behind in a macabre parade. If spencer paid more attention he could probably take a headcount, but as of right now it was all just too damn much. He closes his eyes tightly and balls his fists. He needed to think, to create a distraction. He felt like hew as about to go insane. Nothing was as it should be, nothing was following the predetermined routes his mind was configuring

He was so, so scared.

The entire group came to a slow stop in the middle of a clearing. It was surrounded my trees and had a little quarry not too far away for water. It was nice, for all intents and purposes. Spencer opened the door and just sat for a second to listen, the crickets where chirping. That was a good sign.

A noisy forest was a safe forest, for now at least.

Everyone moved slowly as they set up camp for the night, any and all energy drained as they pulled the cars into a protective circle. The kids fell asleep in their cars and the adults stayed up, building a small fire and gathering what few supplies they had. It was pitiful.

Spencer eyed the setup from his knew position, curled up on the suburban's hood. A camper was parked on the outermost part of the camp, acting as a sort of wall to help block the light of the fire from being seen. Morgan and Garcia where next to the fire, the soft light only accentuating the darkness in their eyes as they supported one another. Shane and another young, Korean man where doing perimeter searches, staring long and hard through the dark trees.

Was it always going to be like this? Are they going to be this tense all the time, just sitting and waiting for death in the form of snarling teeth and ripping flesh? Spencer shuddered at the thought, overly vivid images of rotting faces flashing through his mind. All he can do is hide his head in his arms, as if attempting to physically block the thoughts out of his head as his hands began to tremble.

He was content to ignore the world for a little while. That was until he heard someone walking toward him. Slowly, Spencer peaked out from behind his arms and gave Daryl a tired but questioning look. The man stood in front of him with a blanket in hand.

"Ain't gonna do you no good sitting out here in the cold." He said simply as he laid the blanket next to Spencer gently. "gon' make yourself sick sitting out here like that. Thought you was the smart one." He adds on with a small scoff as he leans against the suburban's hood. Spencer smiled sadly. "Its better then attempting to go to sleep, everything just feels so... loud." He replied, running a hand over the blanket, fiddling slightly with the loose threads. Daryl rolls his eyes slightly before yanking the blanket away and wrapping it tightly around Spencer's shoulders. "Gave you the damn blanket to use, not to stare at." He muttered as he smoothed the fabric over Spencer's shoulders.

"You should try to sleep." Daryl says as he finishes adjusting the blanket, going back to leaning against the hood of the suburban so he could stare at the others. Spencer just shook his head gently.