12 : apologies

never ruin an apology with an excuse.

- benjamin franklin

--

[ beomgyu's pov ]

at the end of last period, the bell rang as the class headed out the door. i wasn't finished with my assignment and so i stayed a bit longer.

although, y/n did too. it was just the two of us and our teacher. the pure smell of awkwardness was pungent.

it became even more awkward when we got up to turn our papers in at the same time. we kept glancing at each other, and it made my heart race.

"oh! y/n and beomgyu! you forgot to sign your name at the top," our teacher called as we both turned around.

we walked back towards her desk and stood right next to each other. i could feel my head spinning. we grabbed pencils and wrote down our names, handing it to our teacher.

*boop*

oh my gosh, SHE TOUCHED MY WRIST-

i'm sure it was an accident BUT SHE TOUCHED MY WRIST WITH HER OWN-

"thank you, you too are dismissed."

we walked towards the door, y/n following straight behind me. i felt so awkward which wasn't normal when we were together. i kept the door open for her, making her let out a small, "thanks."

we walked side by side in the hallway like we used to. i enjoyed it and had a small smile on my face. no words were exchanged, but the atmosphere seemed happy.

we walked out of the campus grounds and parted ways, not saying a word to each other. i wanted to get a few words in, but i couldn't find an opening.

that's until, i took the courage and.. called her.. from my phone. sounds stupid, i know.

what else was i supposed to do?

i still had her number on my phone and i didn't think i would ever delete it, so i pressed on the caller id and waited for her to pick up.

she was still in my vision and i could see her reach into her pocket to grab her phone.

i felt myself shrivel up like a dried prune as she answered the call. the sound of her breath was audible, and i almost froze.

--

"hello?"

silence.

"uh- y/n, can we talk?"

she sounded hesitant, but soon answered briefly.

"er- sure.. g-go ahead."

i took a deep breath, and let my feelings take over.

"y/n, i'm sorry. i-i really am. i misunderstood everything and i take back what i said. i was wrong. even if i was right, i still want you back in my life. even as a friend- that's ok. b-but i miss you and i-"

"beomgyu.."

"yes?"

i heard y/n huff on the other line before screaming into her phone.

"YOU FINALLY UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION YOU DUMBASS. I WAS HOPING ONE DAY YOU WOULD FIND OUT ON YOUR OWN- GOSH I WAS TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT ME AND HYUNJIN WERE JUST PRACTICING FOR HIS CONFESSION FOR YEONA BUT YOU TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY AND BLAMED ME, OH MY LORD."

i flinched at her screaming and shook my head with a smile.

"first if all, stop yelling, dingus. second of all, i'm aware, and i'm sorry."

the sound of her endearing laugh echoed from my phone, making me smile.

"well, why are we still on the phone? you're right behind me aren't you?"

--

y/n hung up and turned around to face me. she was far enough to the point where i couldn't hear her, but i could still see her and sense her strong presence from where i was standing.

we stared at each other for what seemed like eternity until i opened my arms, basically asking for a hug.

and with that, she ran.

she ran towards me as if her life depended on it as i held my arms open to take her into my embrace. and when we did collide, she burst into tears.

"beomgyu, you have no idea how hard it was without you. you dumbass- you fucking left me.. how could you?"

i shushed her as i ran my hand through her hair, trying to calm her down. i pulled away and wiped her tears with my thumbs.

"i'm sorry, i was so wrong-" i whimpered.

y/n pushed her hair out of her face and wiped her tears with her fingertips.

"you really were," she shot back, "don't go assuming things like that, idiot. i was really frustrated because of you."

i placed my hand on my heart dramatically, "are you trying to make me feel guilty? because it's working damn well."

she put on a captivating smile as she flicked my forehead lightly, "gosh, beomgyu. i hate you sometimes, y'know?"

i pulled her closer and placed a soft kiss on her cheek.

"aw, i love you too."