05 : newcomer

would you ever replace me?

--

[ y/n's pov ]

"the cake we made yesterday was horrible."

i flicked beomgyu's forehead gently and laughed at his expression of complete disgust.

"yeah, that's because the flour you brought was infused with febreeze. it tasted like soap," i gagged.

(a/n: this actually happened to me while i was making hotteok and it was gross, i thought i was poisoned)

beomgyu shrugged his shoulders innocently and took his textbooks out, setting them into a nice pile.

"it's not my fault that the febreeze spilled in the pantry. maybe the wind knocked it over."

i furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion.

"gosh, you're such an idiot. i hate you."

[ time-skip; brought to you by: baby beomgyu 🤧 (ALSO I AM AWARE THAT I SPELLED FEBREZE WRONG LEAVE ME ALONE) ]

a/n: what- he's so cute ?! 😟

"y/n, did i tell you that we have a new neighbor?" my mother asked excitedly.

"no," i replied, "since when?"

she sat down next to me on the couch and started to scroll through her phone.

"since now. they just moved in. i guess they were going back and forth to move furniture and other objects in before moving in fully."

i nodded, not very amused at her remark.

"that's cool," i stated with nonchalance.

my mum suddenly sat up and pursed her lips, "oh, i know! i can make some hotteok and you can go over there and give it to them. just as a welcome gift, you know."

pressing the buttons on the tv remote, i shrugged, "sure. i'll just give it to them and go."

after a a couple hours, my mum handed me a container with hotteok inside and shooed me away.

"be nice, y/n! welcome them to the neighborhood!"

i nodded and headed off to the house right next to us. i remember thinking if anyone was going to live there again.

i walked up to the front door and knocked gently, hoping someone would answer it. i suddenly heard footsteps approach the door.

if i embarrass myself i won't even be surprised.

the door suddenly swung open, revealing a boy that looked around my age. he had black hair and a bright smile that made my cheeks flush.

what do i say?

gosh dammit.

who knew he was going to be so attractive?

"uh- hi..?"

the boy chuckled a bit as he leaned on the doorframe with a smirk, "hello."

i didn't know how to introduce myself, so i just stood there for a few moments until he broke the silence.

"so.. are you my neighbor or something?" he queried while scratching the nape of his neck nervously.

i faintly nodded and held out the box of hotteok which he had been eyeing for the past ten minutes. he gently took it from my hands and smiled.

"a welcome gift i assume?"

i finally found the courage to say something and grinned softly, "yeah, welcome to the neighborhood i guess."

the boy bowed a bit and held out his hands for me to shake, which i did.

"thank you. i'm hwang hyunjin by the way," he stated softly.

i hummed, "i'm l/n y/n, and.. you're welcome."

and we just stared.

stared into each other's souls like there was nothing else in this world.

until i broke the silence like the awkward potato i am.

"uh- well, i think i'll take my leave. please enjoy the hotteok. and again, welcome to the neighborhood," i said as an awkward feeling practically oozed from me.

hyunjin let his lips curve at the tips and nodded, "thank you, y/n. i hope we could talk to each other again."

i smiled and hummed at his suggestion as we both started backing away in opposite directions.

"bye, hyunjin."

"bye, y/n."