Spiral

The next morning my legs feel like lead as I kiss my father's forehead and leave for work. I head into the doors and straight for the employee bathroom to freshen up.

Looking in the mirror I look like hell. My mascara is smeared across my cheeks and eyes making me look like a raccoon. My hairs a rat's nest, fuzzy and gross. I quickly wash my face and fix my hair. The steam from the sink unwrinkled my blouse making it look presentable. Giving myself a once over I head for my father's office.

Upon arriving I stop by my office to grab my emergency bag. It has mints and a few other things ill need for today, like a cigarette. I quickly organize my father desk for the day. By lunch time I've set up three different meeting with three of the biggest art galleries in the city. Two of them focused on the more erotic arts like Egon Shiele, Two Women created in 1915. And Robert Mapplethorpe, Self Portrait with Whip, 1978. That particular one was my favorite. The last one is more around abstract art, like Jackson Pollock, Autumn Rhythm 1950.

I had just gotten off the phone with a fourth seller when my coworker and best friend Eve walked in. She was dressed in a pink sundress with strappy sandals on. Her pale skin was glowing from the sun entering the room through the window behind me. "Yes?" I ask. She smiles coming over to my desk "So, I was thinking we go out tonight. You know? For old time sake." I sigh throwing my head back, "I cant I have to go check on my dad. Rain check?" I tell her. She pouts nodding her head. "Well, I'm leaving for the night. Tell Lincoln hi for me." she leans in giving me a kiss on the cheek before leaving. My heart squeezes knowing that my father wont hear that hello.

Rain showers down on the city making the lights look like glitter in a grey setting. I clutch my purse against my side as I run to my car. The parking garage is empty as I pull out.

Soon enough I've taken a shower and got dressed to go see my dad. The receptionist greets me with a warm smile that does little to warm my bones. My dads' room is as it was last night. White and bare except for a few flowers. I take my seat pulling out a book from my bag. I read a few chapters of Wuthering Heights out loud just in case he can hear me.

Marking the book, I wait a few moments before pulling out a small bottle of Jack Daniels. The liquid burns going down but it does its job of warming my insides. An hour later I'm waisted and tired. I curl up into a ball hugging my knees. My own heart thumps to the rhythm of the heart monitor. I slowly drift to sleep, tears drying on my skin.

Months later.

My second breakdown of the day started in the bathroom and traveled to my office. Stacks of paper and documents litter the floor and desk. My head spins causing me to miss step and trip over my feet. I cry out as my body hits the marble floor. Tears spring to my eyes. Struggling to get up I slacken resting my head against the floor. I feel something wrap around me pulling me off the floor. A warm wall presses into me holding me tight. I succumb to the heaviness of my lids letting darkness cloud my thoughts.

The scent of cedar surrounds me. Burying my head into the softness of a pillow I groan. Wait... A pillow? Popping open an eye I take in my surroundings. The room is dark grey with hints of white here and there. The covers wrapped around me are white and grey. A black dresser sits against the wall at the end of the room. The bed is in the middle with two nightstands flanking its sides.

Rolling on my back I look at my watch, its 9 at night. A male voice grabs my attention. I look to the closed tightening my grip on the blankets. I groan throwing my throbbing head back. "Nice to see you too Sweetheart." his voice rattles my bones. Tobias walks in with the swagger of a respected individual he's dressed in black jeans and a tight dark blue sweater. His hair ruffled falling onto his forehead. In other words, he looks godly.

He hands me a cup and an odd-looking supplement. I look up at him, "Just take it Ivy." he sighs. Still cautious I take it without a word. He waits for me to finish the tea before talking. "You're probably wondering why you're here." I glance at him, "No shit." I say moving the blankets. He grabs my shoulders pushing me back onto the bed.

"where are you going?" I squint at him as if he's dumb. Plucking his hands off my shoulders I stand up walking to the door. "If we slept together, I don't want to hear it." its quiet for a moment

Until he chuckles. "Oh please. If we fucked, you'd remember it Sweetheart." he smirks, a dimple appearing on his stubbly cheek. Oh boy. I roll my eyes, "Okay, Tobias." I whisper his name letting it roll off my tongue. His body stiffens, his joints locking into place. I make my way out of the room leaving him in his own quiet mind.

A handful of minutes later he joins me in the kitchen. He doesn't say a word turning his back to me. I bite into a piece of toast I made, "So, how'd I get here?" my toast was bland so I helped myself to his fridge. I was expecting eggs, spinach and other healthy items to be in here. I mean the eggs and spinach were but there were also sweets of all different types. I spotted one of my favorites, Lemon blueberry muffins. "Hey do you mind if I have one of these?" I grab one with a pretty wrapper closing the door. He grunts reaching into a cabinet. His lower belly peaks at me from his raised shirt. I'm certain I'm only drooling from the muffin still in my hand.

I take my seat biting into the treat. Tobias turns looking at me, his eyes cloudy. I blink continuing to eat. He finally leans against the island with a drink in hand. "You had a breakdown at your office. I so happened to walk in to find you past out on the floor with a fever." I feel heat creep up my neck into my ears. I had totally forgotten about that. I look down at the muffin in my hands, "I think im going to go. Thank you for your hospitality." I make it halfway through the living room before he says anything. "I know that you're slowly going into a spiral. I also know that Atwood enterprises is spiraling as do others. They will be coming after your family's company if you don't get help." I swallow the lump in my throat.

Curling my fists, I turn to him, "You know nothing Winters." I speak slowly so he can hear the anger in my voice. He comes around the island approaching me with strong steps. "Oh, but I do. I know that you're dad isn't doing so well." his fingers curl under my chin, "i can help you. I can give you what you need to keep afloat." my fists slowly uncurl, "What's in it for you. Why are you willing to help me?" my voice shakes. He studies me, his eyes taking in all of me. "Lets just say I have a few people to please." I take a few steps back, "What is your proposal?" he strokes his jaw. "Just that. A proposal. In exchange for my help, I need you to be my wife. Plain and simple." I'm at a loss for words.

For a moment I want to laugh but then again, I know he's serious.

Minutes feel like hours as I think about his offer. "I cant." I look up at him. Not a single emotion on his Stoney face. Whether it was my pride or stupidity I couldn't let him have what's left of my family's. "Okay." is all he says as he turns around. I blink a few times before stepping towards him. "Thats it? An okay?" he's typing something on his phone. He turns to me, "Yes. I'm not going to force anything on you. It was nice having you as company now please, a car is down stairs ready to take you home Ms. Atwood." he walks off. The room feels cold without his presence.