Chapter Thirty-nine

Song recommendation: Ruelle ~ War of Hearts

***

BELLATRIX LOOKED like a giddy schoolgirl, smiling with delight and something about her would forever haunt Eden.

"Aw, poor elf," said Bellatrix, glancing at the frightened expression plastered on Tippy's face. "Always thought it was one of the more obedient ones. Bit of a shame really."

Eden's insides scrunched up in anger at the unhinged and sadistic look in the witch's eyes. "You're actually relishing this?"

Bellatrix's gaze quickly shifted back to hers and a vile grin pulled over her lips. "The same way I'll relish the moment of your death, Mudblood." She looked completely deranged and so lethal because of it. "Let's speed up the process, shall we?"

Her wand was pointing steadily at Eden who could feel the ground sinking underneath her shaky legs. She didn't have anything left to protect herself with. No wand. Nothing.

"Any last words?"

Eden looked at Draco. His wand was gripped tightly between his fingers.

"No? Oh well then, Avada—"

But before she had a chance to say those deadly words, Draco pushed Eden backward. "Reducto—!"

The wall and door opposite, exploded as the spell hit them; the structure shattered as everything burst apart, collapsing over Bellatrix's tall posture, and in the midst of it all, Draco pulled Eden back. Sharp splinters of wood rained down upon them — but he kept flinging hexes at his aunt, mercilessly and without catching a breath.

Bellatrix blocked them effortlessly and cackled loudly. "Do you think you're stronger than me, Draco?" Then, she looked Eden straight in the eyes. "Do you think he's stronger than me?"

A psychotic wickedness crossed her features again and Eden's breath hitched.

"Crucio."

Eden's eyes rolled back and she screamed. Icy fingers slithered up towards her heart, trying to rip it out of her chest.

She heard Draco's strangled cry mixing with her own.

Her senses erupted— the metallic taste of blood on her tongue from biting it in an attempt not to scream. Cold, sharp claws ripped through her body, nicking her bones and slicing open every vein.

And just as quickly as the attack came on, it ceased.

There was a movement behind Bellatrix and Eden barely stifled a gasp. A smile flashed over Bellatrix's lips and something shot its way towards Eden. The wall behind her zoomed forward, smacking her in the head and after she'd lain motionless on the floor for a while, she looked around, her vision distorted and speckled with white dots.

There were screams.

There were spells.

And there were soft hands all over her face.

"Eden?"

It sounded oddly familiar and simultaneously so far away.