48. Convivial

Karna's heart overflowed with joy as his family had finally come together

Karna's heart overflowed with joy as his family had finally come together. He now had a hundred and seven brothers, and his love for them knew no bounds. The sense of completeness enveloped his being, for his family was now whole.

Madirakshi, Karna's beloved wife, shared in his happiness. Not only had she gained a loving husband, but she had also gained many sisters. Her heart brimmed with joy, knowing that her family was safe and free from any threats.

Bhishma, overwhelmed with gratitude, thanked the divine forces for sending Karna into the lives of the Kuru dynasty. With his family now saved, all the looming threats that once haunted them had dissipated. Thoughts of concluding his own life gave way to visions of Karna's coronation as the new king of Hastinapur.

Vidur witnessed the unity of the brothers with a profound sense of happiness. The dark clouds that once cast shadows over Hastinapur had vanished, and he felt immense relief. Contemplating the future, he pondered upon who would ascend the throne as the new king of Hastinapur.

Dhritarashtra, overjoyed by the reunion of his family and that of his brother's, expressed his gratitude to every deity. Greed for the throne no longer tainted his heart; he found solace and contentment in the happiness of his family.

Gandhari, filled with delight, felt as if she were floating among the stars. She offered her prayers to Lord Mahadev, thanking him for sending Karna into their lives. Her happiness was magnified as Karna fulfilled his promise to protect Devika from the malevolence of her brother.

The entire Kuru family stood united, and even the members residing in Indraprastha relocated to Hastinapur. The public rejoiced, as peace returned to Aryavrata after an extended period of turmoil. The citizens celebrated the harmonious union that brought happiness to their lives.

One week later, a sabha was convened to discuss the succession of the throne in Hastinapur.

"Why have we gathered for this meeting?" inquired Duryodhana.

"Son, I wish to announce the next king of Hastinapur, as I desire to live a carefree life with my children and grandchildren," Dhritarashtra declared.

"In that case, proclaim Jyesht Karna as your successor," proposed Duryodhana. All the brothers nodded in agreement.

"No! I wish to be the king of Hastinapur. I am already the King of Anga and Ayodhya," asserted Karna.

"Why, my son?" Kunti inquired.

"Mother, the throne of Hastinapur rightfully belongs to Duryodhana, while the throne of Indraprastha belongs to Yudhishthira. I suggest that we proceed with the coronation of Duryodhana as the king of Hastinapur and Yudhishthira as the king of Indraprastha," Karna explained.

"Then, Jyesht, you shall be the new Emperor of Āryāvrata," proclaimed Yudhishthira and Duryodhana in unison.

"Very well, I shall accept the title of Emperor of Āryāvrata. Together, we shall govern this nation with unwavering strength and strive for a better future for our future generations. Let us unite this nation in the name of freedom, equality, education, and peace," Karna declared, a smile adorning his face.