5. Espousal

Ayodhya Palace and the entire kingdom had been bustling with activity for the past ten days

Ayodhya Palace and the entire kingdom had been bustling with activity for the past ten days. Only two more days remained before the marriage of their new emperor and their beloved princess. The majestic palace of Shri Ram was adorned with beautiful decorations and meticulously cleaned by a large workforce.

As part of the rituals conducted by Maharishi Vashistha, the gods themselves were invited to bless the union. The people of Kosala were overjoyed and eagerly contributed to the city's cleaning and decoration. Such happiness hadn't been witnessed in Ayodhya for a long time, and everyone rejoiced and celebrated each day.

However, this news was kept within the boundaries of Kosala. Karna had given strict instructions not to let this information reach other kingdoms, following the orders of his gurudev and Maharishi Vashistha. Ayodhya had isolated itself from the rest of Āryāvrata since the beginning of the Dwapara Yuga, with different rules and active involvement in the politics of Āryāvrata, guided by their kul guru. Their spy network was known to be the best in Aryavart, deterring anyone from sending spies into the Kosala kingdom.

Meanwhile, Madirakshi and Karna found themselves lost in thoughts about their first meeting, which took place in the palace gardens on the day their marriage was fixed.

***

Under the night sky, Madirakshi couldn't sleep, her mind occupied with thoughts of Karna. She decided to take a walk in the palace gardens, where she unexpectedly found Karna. The presence of each other was instantly noticed, and Karna stopped Madirakshi, eager to speak to her privately.

"I would like to talk to you in private. Can we please talk?" Karna requested, and Madirakshi nodded in agreement.

"Let's walk and talk," Karna suggested.

"Listen, my dear, I want to share something about myself. I am Suryaputra Karna, the mortal son of Suryadeva. My mother abandoned me at birth because I was born before her marriage. My foster parents, who belong to the Suta caste, are my true family and the reason I have a life worth living. We were treated poorly in Hastinapur due to our low caste. I, too, consider myself a Suta because my foster parents are my lifeline. I was forbidden from wielding a bow; if I dared to pick one up, people would come to my house and beat me. But I never lost hope. I used to secretly practice archery in the jungle. When I was nine years old, Gangaputra Bhishma and Dronacharya rejected me based on my caste, claiming that I was committing a sin by taking up a bow. I left Hastinapur and then Lord Parashurama entered my life, transforming it completely. He was the first person to reveal the truth about my parentage. He became my teacher and trained me to become an invincible warrior. When I asked him about my Gurudakshina, he asked me to fight against him. After I defeated him, he commanded me to conquer Ayodhya. Two tasks of my Gurudakshina remain, and I have completed the others. When I saw you yesterday, I fell in love with you instantly. I have a question for you: were you forced into this marriage?" Karna poured out his heart in one breath.