45. Consternation

"Ask the gambler who wagered me if he lost me before losing himself," Devika remarked confidently to the guard

"Oh, king! As the family sage, it is my duty to point out that lust, temptation, and gambling are detrimental habits that erode both a person's character and integrity," Kripacharya advised Duryodhana with sagely wisdom.

"Oh, Sage! Had I been losing, you wouldn't have uttered these words. Your lack of gratitude is evident. Sit down, oh sage!" Duryodhana retorted dismissively.

"When a bamboo is on the brink of demise, it unexpectedly sprouts fruits. Duryodhana is akin to the fruit of Hastinapur's treacherous politics," Vidur proclaimed to the deaf Dhritarashtra.

"If you still possess the ability to think, then contemplate! Dishonoring Devika is tantamount to insulting our dynasty," Bhishna declared, tears welling up in his eyes.

"Devika is no longer a daughter-in-law. She is now my maid and shall reside with the other maids, performing their duties," Duryodhana declared callously.

"My loyalty lies with the throne, not with Duryodhana," Bhishma stated firmly.

"Remember, it is my father who currently occupies the throne," Duryodhana asserted.

"I concur with the elders. This act is a disgrace to our noble dynasty," Yuyutsu voiced his agreement.

"I have no desire to learn about honor from you. Therefore, sit down," Duryodhana dismissed Yuyutsu curtly.

"I do not wish to witness crowns adorning the heads of my slaves. Remove them and place them at my feet!" Duryodhana reiterated his command to the Pandavas. The five brothers nodded in submission and placed their crowns at Duryodhana's feet, accepting their fate as servants in every sense.

"Hail to the Crown Prince!" the guard exclaimed.

"Why have you returned alone?" Duryodhana inquired.

"The queen wishes to pose a question to King Yudhishthir," the guard informed.

"Do not demean the assembled kings by labeling them as slave kings. What did that maid say?" Duryodhana demanded to know.

"She wishes to know if the king lost himself before losing her," the guard replied. Yudhishthira appeared numb.

"Tell that woman to come here and ask the question herself," Duryodhana ordered.

"As you wish, Crown Prince," the guard acknowledged and made his way to Devika's chambers.

"Have you returned with an answer?" Devika inquired eagerly as the guard entered.

"The king remained silent, but the Crown Prince has summoned you to come and ask the question in person," the guard relayed.

"Do me another favor. Inform them that Devika listens only to her elders. If Grandsire desires the honor of the Kurus to be present in the Gambling Hall, I shall oblige. If Grandsire commands my presence, I shall comply. Should Uncle Vidur deem it appropriate for me to attend, I shall do so. However, if both believe it to be ill-advised, I shall refrain," Devika expressed with poise.