Chapter 25: Never go wrong with a man in love with sweets, mayo, and sleep

The performance of the night became the talk of the town in the morning. It is said that every man in Yoshiwara are currently bustling about trying to get the courtesan's attention and time to which the house has strictly forbid.

"He hasn't took the bait yet?" Gintoki asked as he sat on one of the few couches in their makeshift command center room, "Man, this is taking too long."

"It's only been a day, Gin-san. Let's not give up hope." Shinpachi encouraged as he passed some soda cans around.

It was already mid afternoon and still no news from their target was heard. Every member of the group remained stagnant aside from Kagura and Kondou who are rummaging through the mountain of gifts from Sakura's suitors who are still waiting for her to appear again in front of the house.

"Sakuranee-chan, can I have this?" Kagura ask as she showed her a box of chocolates.

Sakura smiled and patted her head, "Of course you can, Kagura-chan. These gifts are for all of us. Just make sure not too eat too much sweets or you'll end up like that guy." She indirectly pointed out to the silver haired samurai who was still sipping on his soda.

"I heard that!" Gintoki called out.

Sakura let out a short laugh at Gintoki then turned back and smiled to Kagura who's already halfway through the chocolate box, "Kagura-chan! Not too much!"

Kagura nodded and Sakura exited the room only to find a raven haired samurai leaning on a pillar of the balcony and staring at the afternoon view of the town.

"It's quite peaceful here." Sakura commented.

"Until you arrived." Hijikata replied.

Angry marks started to appear on Sakura's forehead and moved to her target in preparation for a hammer punch, "My, my, Toushiro-kun. I never knew you were this good at joking."

Hijikata didn't take the bait to bicker as he remained quiet and stared ahead.

"Well this conversation has been terrible, I'm heading back in to prepare just in case our target suddenly busts in, hopefully we won't get killed by then if that guy is strong that is." Sakura turned around and started to walk back inside when suddenly, a pair of arms pulled her back out from behind and settled around her waist.

Hijikata embraced the woman to her surprise and spoke words that would render her frozen,

"I'll never let anyone hurt you."

Sakura's eyes widened at his actions and words and he could feel the man's arms holding her tighter.

"I'll protect you even if it means I'll die, Sakura." He continued.

He held her for a moment until he let go and walked back inside leaving Sakura in a daze as she stared at his back.

She placed her hand on her chest and she could feel it, her beating heart.

Lub dub...

"I'll protect you even if it means I'll die, Sakura."

Lub dub... Lub dub...

"That idiot." Sakura touched her flushed cheeks, "Heartless idiot. Stupid idiot. A jerk idiot. What did they say? Don't fall for heartless cops!!!" She muttered several more curses to calm her beating heart.

---

"WE HAVE HIM!" Shinpachi exclaimed as he entered the room.

The room seemingly brightened for a second at the news. It was already the third morning of their stay in Yoshiwara and to say that everyone was restless was an understatement. With Sakura as an exception of course since she did have to practice and perform for another night.