Re-reads

As some of you may know, I started a superhero-inspired tlc fanfic. Go check it out! Anyways, this was a request from @makennalovessunshine. Anyways, enjoy! (Spoilers for Stars above and Mark of Athena)

When one has meetings all day and never got a chance to see the one they love, and is tired and hungry and thirsty and... everything. Cinder sniffed. She wasn't thinking straight. All she wanted to do was to lay all cuddled up with Kai in their humungous room. She smiled. Ever since they got married, Cinder and Kai moved into the space made for the emperor and empress. Even before they got married, they slept in the same room, but this just made their relationship more 'official.'

Cinder commed Kai again, asking him where he was but no answer. She groaned and wandered. She had been wandering the halls, trying to find Kai, since he wasn't in their room. Cinder wanted to sleep so badly but wanted to cuddle with Kai more. She bumped into a figure and muttered an apology without bothering to see who it was.

"Your Majesty?" Cinder whipped her head around so fast she almost fell. The figure went to stop her fall, but she caught herself. Dusting off her dress, she saw that it was Konn Torin who she bumped accidentally. She suddenly felt very embarrassed and began to fix her hair subconsciously. Not that she disliked Torin, it was just that whenever she talked to him, he was always protective over Kai. Almost as if Torin was her husband's dad. Yep. Torin was like a father figure to Kai, and Cinder felt like she always needed to make a good impression.

"Sorry, sorry. I was- I am looking for Kai. He seems to have disappeared. Have you seen him around?" Cinder asked. He nodded slowly.

"Well, I haven't seen him, but if I had to guess, he is probably in the library. Other than you, that's where he likes to spend his free time. Anything else, Your Majesty?"

"Er- nope. I'm good. Thank you, Torin-Daren, I appreciate you, this er-," things got so awkward, he was signaling her to leave now with his eyes, "Yep, Ima go now. See you around."

That wasn't very pleasant. This was never a problem before Cinder and Kai got married. He always stayed silent whenever she was around, but he talked and argued more after the wedding. Maybe it's because he disapproves of me and thinks that I'm not good enough for Kai, she thought. She agreed, though. She wasn't good enough for Kai and didn't know what she did t deserve him. 

When she finally made it to the library, she navigated her way through the different sections to find her missing husband. Mystery, nope. Romance, nope. Non-fiction, nope. Fantasy, nope. Medicine, nope. Young Adult, nop- wait, yes. He was leaning on a bookshelf and was holding a book with a smile on his face. Why was he in the Young Adult section? He was 23!

He didn't seem to notice her as she walked through the aisle of books. But these were paper books. They probably were in perfect shape and were checked regularly. There were not many paper books left in the world, but the New Beijing Palace library was full of them. 

She flopped on the floor next to Kai and placed her head on his shoulder.

"Hey," he said, putting his finger in between the pages when he closed the book so he wouldn't get lost, "missed you today." He kissed the top of her head.

"I know; I just had a lot of meeting today, most of them regarding Luna. I swear I'm going to kill Kamin one of these days" Kamin had been very disagreeing today, making Cinder wanting to travel through the netscreen and whack the African leader with her metal hand, "And Camilla. She wouldn't stop gossiping about who knows what and interrupted me when I spoke many times. Vargas just sat there like a useless doll and don't get me started on Bromstead-"

Kai kissed her then, and Cinder froze as if she'd never been kissed before. Then, like gears turning in her head, she leaned into the kiss and brought a hand to his face. Then she was whacked in the face by a book.