19 Rankings

Sampson grinned happily down at Rhys, while Rhys  blankly stared forward into a face he thought he would never see again.

"Do you want to be in the same team so you can take revenge on me? Is that why you followed me to the military college?" Rhys stared up into Sampson's cocky smirking face.

"Don't kid yourself." Sampson chuckled incredulously at Rhys, "I was always going to join the military. Although I was swayed when Barrow offered me a seat in his gang, when you beat me I realised that I couldn't waste my time in the 20th anymore."

Sampson reached into his pocket and squeezed his trusty lighter in his hand. "Being the strongest is my right. So I cant sit back while the wimps I used to chew out get stronger than me at college."

"That still doesn't answer why you want me on your team." Rhys grunted, annoyed at the mention of Barrow.

"Your ability is unusual. I don't think anyone here has ever seen anything like it, so it could be the surprise factor that helps me win first place." Rhys could practically see the ambition burning in Sampson's eyes.

"Yes, you did always have this obsession with being the best." Rhys remembered the incident a few year ago when their high school finally scrapped together enough funds to have an ability tournament. In the fifth sector, schools were expected to host tournaments like that every year, but their school had a problem with upper management dipping their fingers into the funds meant for the tournament, so it never happened. By some miracle one year the funds didn't 'go missing' and the tournament was held at an old arena.  Or it was being held until Sampson placed second overall for his performance. That's when he went on a rampage and burnt down the arena. Needless to say there was never another tournament.

"It's natural to want to be the best." Sampson shrugged of Rhys's judgmental stare.

"Well, we can't make a team with just the two of us, we need two more people. Do you have anyone in mind?" Rhys sighed wondering if he was actually going to consider being on the same team as Sampson. The guy who had burnt his friends to death in an alley a few days ago.

Sampson scowled as he surveyed the crowd of college students. "It's annoying to choose when you don't know their abilities."

Rhys smiled secretly knowing that he could see everyone's abilities with ease. "Well if we could, what would your ideal team look like?"

Sampson turned back to look at Rhys. "I'd be in charge of attacking since that's my specialty." Sampson expertly spun his lighter between his fingers like some kind of fidget master. "You have that weird ability, so you'd be doing as many sneak attacks as possible. I don't want another offensive person since they'd only get in my way..."

"Since you want to do all the straight up fighting, a healer or energy transferor would be ideal to keep your energy up." Rhys was already scanning the few people awkwardly walking around the gym who had not found a group yet, looking for the brown haired guy with a goofy grin.

"And I don't know if you heard about Connor yet, but we will definitely need someone with a defensive skill, like a barrier creator or an energy absorber."

"Connor," Sampson's eyes sharpened. "Yeah I heard about him."

Rhys watched as Sampson's mood worsened. Rhys knew that Sampson was volatile, especially when his god complex was being threatened. Having someone like Connor whose core ability was undoubtedly better than Sampson's was probably making his blood boil.

"Do you know if he has a generation type or a manipulation type core?" Sampson stared blankly into the crowd of students where Connor had his back to him. The black stripes of his tattoo were clearly visible on his neck, which only added to his already frightening presence.