The Flower Dance

Today was the day of the flower dance. Ugh, today was going to be gross. I don't want to sound cliche, but I HATE affection. I don't know, the concept is just weird to me. Liz says it's weird because I've never loved anyone before, I couldn't care less. Liz was going to go with Harvey, and Abigail would probably go with Seb (I've seen the way Seb looks at her).
"C'mon Y/N! You have to put on your formal wear!" Elizabeth whined.
"I'm not putting that on," I retorted.
"But you have to look goooooood!"
"I don't care about the stupid dance, Liz."
"If you put it on, I'll pay youuu," Elizabeth negotiated.
"Fine, but only if you give me 100g to buy more video games."
"Deal,"
And with that, I put on the clothes she set out for me, and combed my hair. I walked downstairs to see my sister next to Harvey in a beautiful white dress.
"Well, someone looks ready for their wedding," I smirked. Harvey turned beet red.
"Hey!" Elizabeth exclaimed.
"I'm kidding," I replied, "I'll see you two lovebirds later." I walked out the door.

I caught up to Sam on the way to the woods. He was wearing a jet black suit and dress shoes. I never knew he wore anything other than sweatshirts and jeans, and he looked really good in it.
"What's up, shortie?" He smiled.
"First of all, done call me that! Second, do you have a date?"
"No," he shrugged, "I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing, y'know?"
"Yeah, I'm the same way," I replied, "Are Abigail and Seb going together?"
"What do you think?"
"Yeah,"
"Of course they are," he said.
"I knew it!" I exclaimed. He laughed.
"Wanna just hang out at the venue while everyone else has their dates?" Sam asked.
"I don't see why not, it could be better though,"
"Hey!" He exclaimed, "Could be better?! I'm the best! Period!"
"In you're dreams," I laughed as he chased me all the way to the venue.
We were crowded around the buffet table, every now and then taking a plateful of food.
"Hey guys!" Abigail called. She was walking with Sebastian, as expected.
"How's your date?" I smirked.
"Let me guess, Sam told you," She sighed.
"Mhm!" Sam smiled, "you two make a good couple!"
"Might I remind you Sam," Sebastian said out of nowhere, "We're going to this thing as FRIENDS."
"Suuuuuure dude," Sam smirked.
"Yeah, I've seen the way you look at her, Seb," I laughed as Sebastian's pale skin flushed pink.
"Since when have you taken Sam's side?" Abigail asked, "I thought you hated him."
"Times change, dear Abigail," I replied. I looked up into Sam's eyes, he was right, I was a lot shorter than him. Sam smiled.

Sam's POV:
They hated me at one point? Probably when I ran rammed into them on the first day. Well, I'm glad Y/N views me as a friend, even if that's all it will ever be. If only they knew what I thought about them...

Y/N:
"Oooooh! The dance is going to start soon!" I exclaimed. "Go Seb! Go Abigail!"
"Okay, okay," Abigail sighed as they walked off to join the others.
"Go you crazy kids," Sam shooed, "I want some alone-time with Y/N."
Alone-time? What was he planning?
"This will be interesting to watch," I said sarcastically. Sam laughed.
"Speaking of which, can I ask you a question?" Sam asked.
"Shoot,"
"I feel like you're one of those people who hates affection but also craves it," Sam started. "Am I right?"
"What makes you say that?"
"I dunno, it's kinda just your vibe."
"Well, you hit the nail on the head, that's for sure."
"Well then, I hope you don't mind a hug from your favorite skater boy, right?" He asked.
"I guess it's fi-"
Before I could finish, he embraces me, holding me for what seems like forever. I have no urge to pull away, but yet I feel like I have to.
"Sam!" I exclaimed as I pulled away.
"Sorry," He mumbled, scratching his neck. He was blushing, "I thought you would like it."
"Hey, it's okay," I replied, " I was going to ask for a warning. And it pains me to say this, but, can you do that again?"
"Heh, sure," Sam replied as he pulled me in for our second hug. It felt good to have somebody I could rely on. I felt safe in his arms, protected. It was warm, and he smelt surprisingly good. Sort of like vanilla, smoke (the good kind, like from an incense burner), and something else that I couldn't put my finger on. Of course, it was a platonic hug, right?

I said my goodbyes to Abigail and Seb, and started to walk home.
"Can I walk you home?" Sam asked as he ran up to me.
"Why not?" I replied. We ended up taking a while, stopping to look at constellations.
"The sky is really beautiful, isn't it?" I asked.
"Almost as beautiful as you," Sam said under his breath.
"What was that?" I asked.
"Oh nothing," Sam smiled, "Well, this is your stop, see ya,"
"Okay, till tomorrow, 'kay?"
"Always," he smiled one last time, as he disappeared down the gravel road.

Sam: ❤️❤️❤️💔🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤