That was certainly not the answer that I was hoping for but I had to be at least grateful that she was alive.

"My parents are happy to help her settle in," Riley continued while I sat there, pondering what I could do. "My mum has been thinking about opening a gardening business for a while now and she told me she would need some help with it. Plus, the house next door is being rented."

Goddess, in the time that I had been sitting there, wallowing in my self-pity, my brilliant mate had already been considering how to best support my mother. It felt bitter-sweet to wonder what I had done to deserve a mate like her when I had failed my mother.

"What if we bring her back to Scotland?"

"We can't do that, Rafe- the shock of it all would be too much for her. This is the best option, really. My parents can keep an eye on her and we can visit her as often as you want."

I ran my thumbpad over Riley's hand, appreciating once again the softness of her skin before I brought it to my lips.

"You are amazing, do you know that?"

"Dear God, has hell frozen over? Did I just receive a compliment from the almighty Alpha Rafe Macalister?" Riley exclaimed as she feigned shock and then giggled. "I might have heard it once or twice but you can keep going."

Her laughter filled up the room once again.

"Don't get too cocky, mate, or I might have to do something about it next time that you and I are alone. Then you will see what amazing really means," I growled playfully but the truth was that I could barely contain the burning needed inside me to have Riley again.

Our bond demanded completion of the mating ritual, so it was impossible not to feel lustful whenever we were around each other ever since Aiden and I marked her.

She seemed to feel the same way because her eyes sparkled with mischief. "Ha, I would like to see you try, Macalister. I'm still not convinced that you can handle me."

Before I could reply to her challenge though, a gentle female voice brought us back to reality.

"Riley?"

My mate sprung out of her seat and rushed over to my mother's side as she slowly came to her senses.

"Where am I? What happened?" Her tone was uncertain and she trailed off as she spoke. Her beautiful blue eyes were now full of wariness. She blinked rapidly and glanced around, looking for answers.

"My parents' guest room. There was an accident at the mansion, Michelle," Riley gently squeezed her hand, easing her in before she told her the full story. "The ceiling in the courtyard caved in right where you were standing but, thankfully, you weren't hurt."

My mother's eyes widened. The loud gasp that escaped her lips was quickly covered by the hand that flew to her mouth. "Oh my goodness, is Mr Mark okay?"

Riley had briefly told me that my mother and Markolf had become close over the years, especially as she didn't know the truth about what had happened to her, but the panic written across her face was like a stab to my heart. She was not meant to care for the creature that had torn her away from her family and yet, here we were.

I wanted to speak but Riley subtly raised her hand to stop me, taking the word instead. "He didn't make it, Michelle."

"No! That can't be true!" Her voice suddenly lacked strength and I could see her lips tremble, even as she pressed them together.

The whole scene before me was pure torture. Even from beyond the proverbial grave the cambion was causing my family pain and my hands were tied because telling my mother the truth was not an option if I did not want to risk her well-being, which I evidently didn't.