Where Are All the Teachers?

There was an article on MSNBC that my husband forwarded to me about teachers. The reporter was amazed as to the lack of veteran teachers in this particular school. Twenty years ago, it was common to see teachers that had been teaching for decades. Ten years ago, there were fewer. Today, there are rarely veteran teachers on campus. So where did all the teachers go?

They are being forced out.

Education majors entering the field quickly find out that their ideals of education were one thing and reality another. The long hours with no comp time, the unending paperwork, and the diminishing pay forces teachers back out of the field. Studies have shown that 99% of teachers entering the field leave within the first five years. They realize they can make more money, have less stress, and be more appreciated in any other field other than teaching.

I recently discovered it is a goal in the county I work for to force teachers out. My department was in a meeting with the principal over new procedures and new paperwork. Unrealistic goals such as "there will be 70% of the students getting As in class" are being set. Our department head asked the direct question: "Is *** County trying to get rid of teachers?" The principal admitted that is what was going on. We were a little taken aback, but we are not surprised.

Central office sees veteran teachers as a liability. The majority has higher degrees and multiple years, if not decades, of service. Since teachers like this cost the system more than a graduate with a Bachelors, the county is doing its best to force teachers out so they don't have to lay off or fire any one. In this building, teachers are constantly being told we will "do this or get fired." Even as of yesterday, we were informed by email again that if we do not do this one piece of paperwork, we will be fired. Teachers can only take so much. Almost three-fourths of the staff here is actively looking for work in other fields. There seems to be no future in education for us. If there is no future for teachers, where does that leave the students?

It has already come down from the state department that there will be more furlough days and more layoffs next school year. Classrooms are already overcrowded, teachers are overworked and underpaid, and the animosity that administration creates makes for a poor and hostile work environment. It's not only at the school where I work. It's everywhere.

Can teachers transient into other careers? Yes. Can students transient into other education?

Something to think about.