When a Teacher Takes the Day Off

Being a teacher is not like any other job out there. If I can't come into work, it's not like someone can just jump right in and do my job. There are lesson plans that have to be followed and regulations that have to be adhered to.

Normally, a teacher may be out for just a day or two due to a conference, appointments, jury duty, or illness.Most missed days can be planned for and lessons laid out for the substitute. The teacher can grade whatever is needed when she comes back. If there is an illness, either a lesson plan can be emailed to administration or a colleague or there are emergency lesson plans available that the teacher has submitted at the beginning of the year (usually for 3 days). But what if a teacher has to be out longer?

I have recently found myself in this situation. I had to have immediate surgery back in December. I will be out until February. Not only did I have to keep in line with my lesson plans and work daily with students until I left, I also had to prep for a substitute for the entire time I would be out. The following is a list I had prepared for myself to make sure I accomplished everything:

1. Make daily lesson plans. That way the students would stay on track and the sub knew exactly what to do. I do mine in Excel.

2. Make copies in advance. Of everything. Even some extras.

3. Make all teacher copies available for the sub. I have 3 different areas I teach, so I had to make sure everything was there are ready.

4. Make a substitute folder with my schedule and seating chart. There is a general letter detailing how to do the daily activities in my class. There are also discipline forms in the pockets, if they are needed.

5. Have all tests done ahead of time for the students. Subs do not make tests or assignments. She is running the tests through the scantron machine (those that can be graded that way), so that is one less thing I have to worry about. I just have to have grades recorded.

6. Have a trusted colleague post grades. I am lucky in the fact that I work with my best friend and we teach the same subject. He has been taking care of entering my grades for me (of which I am so grateful). That way parents still know how their child is doing in my class and I won't be inundated with work when I get back.

7. Substitutes can give detention and write up students for misconduct. The punishment stands.

I did not get to meet with my long-term sub for long (about 20 minutes). Since my best friend is there, I wasn't too worried. I just didn't want her freaking out and leaving.

Substitutes, whether long term or short term, still get paid the same. Minimum wage. Yep, that's it. It's like paying a babysitter to watch your kids. Even when a teacher retires and comes back as a sub, they only get minimum wage, even though they are certified teachers. That's why there is so much work for a teacher to do to be absent. As a teacher, we are required to make sure there is a lesson going on every day and that there is continuous learning in the classroom.