New Year - Less Education

In the age of technology, education has never been more important. Taking classes online is now more commonplace than ever before. However, is it the right thing for high school students?

Georgia has just passed legislation requiring the freshman class of 2013 will have to take at least one virtual class in high school that year and every year after. In a few cases, this is a good idea. Overall, it may cause more harm than good.

A lot of students struggle in school. Class sizes have grown to a point where there is not a lot of time for one-on-one interaction, but at least there is a teacher there to clarify answers and guide the student . A teacher can encourage and challenge the student to achieve more and to reach beyond the basic level of understanding.

With a virtual class, students fill a lab to do all of their class (multiple classes are going on at the same time) online. The proctor in the room cannot assist the student with assignments. If the student has a question, they can email the instructor and wait for an answer, sometimes up to two days. In the mean time, they are sitting and waiting, not really being productive in learning.

What about teaching differentiation? Classroom teachers teach on a variety of levels to make sure students understand the material. Not only do students learn from the teacher, they also learn from each other. With virtual classes, this is not the case. From the information I acquired, there will not be that worry. Each class is geared for the student's ability. That is fine for a start, but where is the challenge? Where is the determination to do better? Where is the desire for success and to feel that you have done a good job? Taking a class is more than just passing. It's about the learning and the journey it takes us on.

High school students, for the most part, are not disciplined enough to tackle a virtual class on their own. Teachers are dedicated to produce lifelong learners and productive citizens. Taking teachers out of the classroom may save the state money, but will it save the student?