What Are College Students Thinking?

I love being an English Teacher. I am fortunate enough to teach at both the high school level and college level. Each job provides me with insight as to where our upcoming generation is headed. It's an interesting way to gather statistics to see what results the future will produce.

I am a little concerned.

I have never promoted mediocrity. You have a job to do. You should always do it to the best of your ability. You have the directions/guidelines. You should already have a work ethic and morals. Venture forth and be successful.

Apparently, some college students do not have this mentality.

My English 101 class has a required research paper (3-5 pages) the school mandates they do. If this paper is not completed, the student will receive a zero for the semester. This is a requirement from the college. My syllabus clearly states this. The students have three months to complete this paper (as well as other work along the way). All guidelines, rubrics, and examples are given to the students. There are reminders sprinkled throughout the syllabus as well as class announcements made.

Most students do well on this project. It's the ones that do not that concern me. My syllabus clearly states there is no make ups and no late work.

I do not have an office on campus. I am an adjunct professor. The students can put it in my box (if they are enrolled in a class that meets on campus) before class or it has to be submitted to BlackBoard only if they are in my online class.  I do not take papers by email since it may change the formatting of the paper, or in a format I cannot open,  or there may be a virus (yes, all have happened.) My online classes are fully aware that if I cannot read it on BlackBoard, it's a zero.

Here is a small list of some of what I hear when grades are posted:

1. "I was out of town. I needed a vacation."

2. "I should get some credit for turning in something" (even though it was not correct or on topic).

3. "I forgot."

4. "I submitted it. Just because I can't read it online doesn't mean anything" (knowing it cannot be read - which normally means there is nothing there).

5. "I emailed it to you." (I don't take work by email).

6."We had to have in-text citations?" (If there is no citations, it's an essay - and a plagiarized one at that. That does receive a zero. This is clearly stated in the rubric).

I realize most college students work. I am very sympathetic to this. I did not get my first degree right after high school. I have always worked at least 2 jobs, had a son, and went to school with all four of my degrees. I still graduated early with at least double honors. Never once did I ever think it was OK to not do my work or only do the bare minimum.

I realize that English 101 is just a college class. What concerns me is the mentality that mediocrity is OK. The current mindset that "I should get something for a half-hearted attempt" is fine. These students are future nurses and engineers. I would not want a person with this mindset to be poking at me or designing a building that I may have to work in. These students may be doing medical billing. Can you imagine the bill being incorrect and you have to spend hours fixing it? What if this same attitude was the person who is your accountant? The IRS nightmares should be enough to frighten anyone.

College students - it's time to wake up and take responsibility for your actions. You are grown. You are the future. If America is in this downward trend, don't you think your attitude has a lot to do with it? No one deserves something for nothing. Get a backbone and some work ethic .  Don't let your apathy become your lifestyle, which in turn makes others suffer. Make something of yourself. Make a better tomorrow.