•11•

Claire's POV

Vic held the door for me on the way in and we sat at a booth in the corner.

"Classyyy" I said sarcastically, eyeing the greasy floor and tacky jukebox that comes standard in every Waffle House.

"Hey! Don't hate on this place.", he protested, caressing the table. "Don't listen to her, baby." He mumbled.

I managed to keep a straight face. "Ew. Get a room! Oh, and hon, I'd back off. We've already slept together." I said, patting the table.

He laughed and the waitress walked up to our table.

"Have you decided yet guys?" She asked. She looked about 18 and was tall and blonde.

"I'll have pancakes and a coffee please." I said.

"Waffles and a coffee please." Said Vic.

The waitress nodded, scribbling down the order and walking away.

"So did you say you hated your parents?" Asked Vic.

I sighed. "Yeaah, it's a long story. They're super rich because they own a music producing company- Fearless Records-"

"YOUR DAD IS BOB BECKER?" Vic cut me off with a bewildered look on his face.

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"-knew I heard that name before." He mumbled. "Pierce The Veil is signed under your dad!"

"Really? That's kind of an amazing coincidence, wow..."

"You didn't know?"

"I'm not exactly close with my parents... They don't act like I'm even a priority in their life. I never even get phone calls from them, and I'm an only child..."

"Wait, what about Caleb?"

"You know about Caleb?" I asked, trying to contain the tears I knew would come. It was only last November, this wound was still open.

"Claire, Caleb was my best friend growing up! We were the same grade in school. He's actually one of the reasons Pierce The Veil got to sign with Fearless. I haven't kept up with him recently, how is he? I miss him. Maybe he can meet us when we get back to San Diego?" He carried on, oblivious to the devastated look on my face.

"Vic-" I stopped him. "Caleb died a few months ago."

"Shit, Claire. I-" he stared at me.
"Fuck." He said, under his breath. He was staring at the table.

"It's okay I'm just-" I wiped a tear. "Still recovering..." I started to regain my composure. "Since then, I haven't been getting any attention from my mom or dad. And I'm all they've got left. They don't care about me now that he's gone."

Vic reached across the table and grasped my hands.

"Claire- I'm so sorry. I talk too fucking much, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Vic, it's okay. Really." I forced a small smile.

The waitress returned with our food.
"Enjoy!" She said energetically.

Vic tried to cheer me up with stories about his best friend, Jaime.

"The kids, they created a 'ship name'" he said, laughing. "'Fuenciado' they call us! Personally, I think Jaime is a little gay for me."

I laughed. "Don't forget my invitation to the wedding"

"Aw come on, that was mean" Vic said, putting on his best pout face.

Just then, the door to the Waffle House opened and a tall chick strutted dramatically in. She wore black pumps, black skinny jeans, and a leather jacket over a white tee shirt. Her jet-black hair fell to her elbows. (I'm not one to judge, but she looked like a total bitch)

She scanned the restaurant. Her eyes lingered on our booth and she scoffed before starting toward us.

Vic realized I was distracted and glanced in the direction I was staring.

"Shit." He mumbled under his breath. "Shit shit shitshitshit"

She reached our table and put on a fake, syrupy voice and a false smile.

"Viiiic!" She drew out her words. "Long time no see, babe! I missed you." She hung over him now, running her hands over his shoulders. "Baby I was thinking tonight, you and me go out. Catch up. Check in to a hotel..." She trailed off, smiling suggestively.

"Fuck off, Lindsay." He pushed her hands away.

"Ouch, baby. That's no way to talk to your girl."

"Get the hell away from me!" He nearly yelled.

She looked stunned. Her glare turned into fuming anger, and she shot me a death glare as she whirled around and strutted away.

Vic grabbed my hand and we left quickly.

"The hell was that?"

"That was Lindsay. She's my ex." He looked very distressed now.

"Bad breakup?" I asked.

"She cheated on me and now she wants me back." He stated plainly. "She's a whore."

"Vic, that sucks. I'm sorry she treated you like that." I tugged on his hand, making him slow down and look at me.

Vic stared. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable when he gently pushed me up against the brick wall of a building, and kissed me.

Not like a full-blown makeout, but a good, solid, three-second kiss.

Then he grabbed my hands and we walked back to the hotel.