18.0

| CHAPTER EIGHTEEN |***

***

THERE WAS A FAINT CONTINUOUS RINGING IN YOUR EARS. Like an overwhelmingly diverse set of noise frequencies were hitting you all at once, making it almost impossible to discern them from one another.

Your consciousness was floating through an empty space, following the sound, hoping to grasp onto something familiar, anything familiar. But there was only nothingness. Only an empty void of blackness engulfing you.

Soon the ringing subsided and was replaced by the feeling of a dozen needles dancing their way across your forehead. Though you were in the dark stillness, now you could hear something different than the annoying buzzing in your head.

Focus, you reminded yourself and concentrated on your surroundings.

A rhythmic beeping, heavy thumping of footsteps paired with a lighter one, a continuous whirring sound possibly from a ceiling fan, muffled whooshes and clicks of drawers opening and closing.

"How... she?"

You knew that voice. Its distinct deep undertones and huskiness made it detectable from miles away.

"Surgery...long...well...but...sorry..."

The sentences were broken and hard to understand with the buzzing in your ear constantly interrupting them.

Fo-cus, you reminded yourself again and concentrated harder, pushing that continuous ringing all the way to the back of your head.

"What do you mean?"

You weren't mistaken. That was Bakugou. Hoping he could help you out of the pitch black hell you were in you yelled out "Bakugou! Where am I? Help me out."

But you didn't get a response. You didn't even feel the smallest reaction from him. As if he didn't even hear you.

"Hey!" You called out again but to not avail.

Instead the other unfamiliar voice spoke up "The arrows were laced in drugs. With three of them puncturing her skin and the amount of time it took to take them out, the drugs took effect and weakened the synaptic functioning in her Ascending Reticular Activating System, preventing the ARAS to arouse her brain."

Was he talking about you?

"Not only that, the significant blood loss has created a mild state of hypoxia which is basically oxygen deprivation in the brain. Combine that with the trauma she experienced and it's almost a miracle she's even alive, though in a coma."

Coma? But you were awake. You could hear them. You were calling out to them. Is that why they couldn't hear you?

"We have done everything we could. The oxygen levels are back to normal and with an exchange transfusion we pumped out the poisoned blood and replaced it with clean blood."