Demons

-Naruto POV-

'It was a crisp winter night and the snow had just started to fall. I could see my breath as I walked up to the figure standing in front of me. I felt my heart beating faster and harder the closer I got. I never felt such happiness unless I was here with this person. When I got to the figure, it was smiling at me. Such a sweet and inviting smile. But as soon as I got face to face with the figure, that smile turned into something evil and ominous. Suddenly, the air got colder, harsher, and the sky turned darker. It's like the ground caved from under my feet and I was being sucked into a dark hole. I tried to reach out, asking the figure to please help me. Don't let me fall... but all I got in return was a menacing laughter. The laugh got louder and louder the deeper I fell.'

Laying in my bed, I blinked my eyes open. It was the same nightmare that had been haunting me since that day. At least now, a year later, I can only see a shadowed figure. I can no longer see the face of the man that spit that venomous laugh at me.

'You know no one can love us.'

I tried my best to ignore this voice that seemed to come inside myself. He's been there every since that day happened. I can usually ignore him, but after that nightmare his voice is usually a lot darker and more sinister. Sometimes I swear I can feel him from inside my body, just trying to tear me apart and just fill me with hatred. Some days he wins.

I stayed in my bed and laid there for a little while longer. I didn't want to have the nightmare again so I stayed staring at the ceiling. So many questions had been running through my mind since that day.

"Why" was the most important one. There was no reason that I was given. All of the love and peace that I felt at that time... all of it was a lie.

Since that day, I vowed to never let anyone close to me again. I can't go through something like that anymore. I've had too much loss in my life to be able to mentally or emotionally handle anymore.

And this person knew that..

I have no family, I live alone, and I have no friends. After that night, I packed up and left. I didn't say a word to anyone. Not that anyone would have cared. I changed my phone number and never looked back. It was better this way.

'We like it this way' I heard the inner voice chant.

Laughing to keep myself from crying, I replied. "Yeah, yeah we do like it this way." I rubbed the tears that threatened to leave my eyes. I felt my stomach start to growl. It was the middle of the night but I figured I would hit the convince store for something to eat. I had a little money to spare this time.

Getting to my feet, I tossed on a pair of sweats from the floor and grabbed my only hoodie from the chair in my kitchen. I slipped my shoes on and headed out the door. I never bothered to lock my door as there was nothing in there to steal.

Walking into the store, I saw the usual third shift guy behind the counter. "Hey man" he greeted as I walked in. I was here quite often and we have talked here and there. Neither of us know eachothers names, but we have a mutual understanding with one another.

I grabbed a few snacks and drinks and headed to the counter. "Hey, how's business?" I asked as I got to the counter. "Shit, it pays the bills or whatever. What, no ramen tonight?" He laughed as he scanned out my items. "Nah. Not feeling it tonight." I responded as I laid the money on the counter. "Well have a good night" he tossed my way as I exited the store. I simply waved over my head and headed back to my apartment.

I opened my apartment door and walked in. I never bothered to say "I'm home" as I got tired of the empty echo the sound left. I flopped on my couch, which was actually just a two-seater left behind by the last tenant, and tossed my bag on the floor. I searched around for the remote for the tiny TV that I have that gets maybe 2 decent channels. Realizing I had no idea where the remote was, I sighed and got up to physically turn the TV on.

The signal was fuzzy but it was enough to keep my mind from wandering. I opened my snacks and one of the drinks and laid back on the couch. I blankly stared at the TV.

'You're pathetic' I heard the voice call out. I reached between the couch cushions and grabbed the remote out of the hole it had fallen into. I turned up the volume and continued to blankly stare at the TV.

'Heh. You ignore me now. But I promise one day, you'll need me.'

I didn't hear him for the rest of the night. At some point I turned the TV down and allowed the silence to consume me. Soon, darkness took over and I hoped for a few more hours of sleep.