Tom's Last Assignment

Start from the beginning

We reached the line to get into the club, full of other people who thought they were classy enough to be let in. You are only allowed into the club based on your appearance. I noticed one of the bouncers look a group up and down and only granted access to only two people out of the seven. Tom and I both had to be allowed into the club so we could scope it out for drugs.

Tom pushed through the line and approached the bouncer when we got close enough and said to him with so much confidence, "hey, man, I used to work here and why are you letting so many people in all willy-nilly? Marshall will be pissed."

The papers in our folder told us the name of the owner, Marshall, and Tom was incredibly lucky that the bouncer was new, because he asked, "should I not be?"

Tom stood beside the bouncer and faced the line of people waiting to be let in. He pointed to a couple of girls who were next in line and said to the bouncer in an accent that reminded me of New Jersey, "you have to differentiate between trashy and classy. What would you say about these ladies?"

The bouncer rubbed the back of his neck and said, "trashy?"

Tom nodded, "that's right. You two, outta here. Better luck next time, sweethearts."

I heard the girls scoff and try to walk away. Their high heels kept twisting their ankles, and even though they were dressed nice, I noticed residue of a white powder on their noses that I'm sure Tom saw too. The less amount of people in the club, especially high ones, the easier our jobs were going to be.

Tom was chomping gum as he called out, "next!"

There was a small group just ahead of me, and Tom hand picked one man to be allowed into the club out of everyone he came with. The entire group was offended and tried to yell at Tom, but the bouncer made sure that they left.

I stepped forward and Tom pretended to look at me up and down. His dark hair was styled so nicely, and he pushed his bangs back with his fingers. He turned to the bouncer and said, "I know what I would do. What would you do?"

The bouncer nearly hesitated but answered, "classy."

"Good job. Go on in, Miss," he said to me with a wink.

"Thank you," I said with a grin. I walked right past Tom and into the establishment with a cloud of my perfume following behind me.

The club was loud with upbeat music, very dark, but had colorful strobe lights that gave me a headache

The club was loud with upbeat music, very dark, but had colorful strobe lights that gave me a headache. It was bustling full of people. I dodged out of the way of drunk patrons of the club, and began scoping for any drugs that I could find. I used my hand to feel for my gun, which was concealed on my thigh. My badge was hiding in my bra, so I already knew I had that.

I sat at the nearby bar counter and crossed my legs once I got situated on the stool. I didn't see any drug-handling on this side of the room, but the busiest part of the club was the dance floor. There was enough energy from everyone dancing and jumping to make the floor give out from under everyone. I was listening to the conversations around me, trying to filter out what would help us with the case. I kept hearing the name Otis come up.