13: Attempted Distraction

tell me why blue bird came on my shuffle as i started writing this chapter lololol. pure happiness my friends.
___________________

"It looks like Team Guy is coming here to back us up," Kakashi called out. "Pakkun tracked Gaara and Sasori's scent, so we should get going. He's going to lead Guy's team to us as well."

"Right!" Naruto and Sakura yelled.

I took a deep breath, trying to center myself. Whatever happens... I have to stay focused. I have to help get Gaara back. No mistakes. No distractions.

We all took off, along with Lady Chiyo, to find them.

"Naruto, how long have the Akatsuki been after you?" Sakura asked.

"2 members of the Akatsuki came looking for Naruto at the leaf village, but it's been almost three years now. There's been no sign of them since," Kakashi explained.

My head sank low as they talked about the Akatuski coming after the jinchuriki. Itachi was one of those 2 members... As far as the leaf village was concerned, I was dancing with the devil and laying with the enemy.

Everyone knew it, but I just couldn't accept it. Why couldn't I see Itachi for what he was? What he had become?

"Naruto," I called out as Lady Chiyo finished explaining to Sakura about the tailed beasts spirits. She called them demon spirits, and I could see that Naruto was upset.

"Yea?" he asked as just the two of us came to a brief stop.

I put my hand on his shoulder and looked into his eyes, the deep blue ones that were so much like his father's, "You're not evil, Naruto. You're not a demon. You are so much more than a jinchuriki of the leaf village."

He wasn't looking at me, so I tilted his head up, "Do you understand that? What makes you special is who you are, and nothing can change that. I'd bet my life on you becoming the Hokage someday. Don't let anyone make you forget who you are."

He looked at me with wide eyes before throwing his arms around me. I tensed up a bit but soon hugged him back. Holding him tightly.

"Thanks big sis Y/n," he muttered out making a huge smile stretch across my face.

"I'm lucky I have two brothers now," I ruffled up his hair as we pulled apart. "Now let's save Gaara!"

"Right!"

We ran to catch up to the others when Kakashi stopped suddently. "Wait!!" he yelled.

"Oh fuck," I mumbled to myself as I saw the man in a black robe in front of us.

"Itachi Uchicha," Naruto hissed.

"That's— that's him?" Sakura stuttered.

I felt all of me start to crumble. My heart dropped as I looked at Itachi's red eyes. It had been a year since I last saw him, and he looked even emptier than before.

"Avoid eye contact with him!!" Kakashi yelled. "Don't let him catch you in his genjutsu!"

My eyes were shadowed and protected by my kekkei genkai, so I stared out at Itachi, feeling the warm tears already trailing down my face.