17: Truth Hurts

I sat quietly on a couch in Tsunade's office, listening to Tenzo, Jiraiya, and Naruto fill us in on the mission.

"It seems Sasuke has no intention of leaving Orochimaru. Not until he knows Itachi can be killed," Jiraiya explained.

I noticed all of them nervously glancing over at me, Kakashi especially. I was calm, and maybe a little too calm given the situation.

"Naruto," I finally spoke up. "Can you leave us to talk for a moment?"

"Oh, uh, sure big sis..." he muttered out awkwardly before leaving. I thought he'd put up more of a fight but I'm glad he didn't. I wasn't in the mood.

"How many tails did he get to this time?" I looked up at Tenzo.

"Four."

Kakashi sighed, "Knowing how powerful Sasuke's become, he's going to want to train even harder than before."

"And your wood style couldn't stop him, Tenzo?" I asked, ignoring Kakashi's laziness.

"Yamato," he corrected.

"Ok, whatever, I want to know how he escalated to four tails."

"Y/n," Jiraiya instantly spoke up. "Dial it back."

"Dial it back? Are you serious?" I snarled as I stood up. "Sasuke is on the verge of being Orochimaru's vessel while hunting Itachi. The Akatsuki is on the move. Naruto still has no control. We can't trust our own fucking Anbu, but you want me to dial it back?"

"Look, I understand your frustration—" I cut Tsunade off.

"None of you could possibly understand my frustration! Sasuke, Itachi, Naruto, the Anbu... all of them, these are my people. People who I have loved and cared for and fought beside for years now, and we have no way of protecting them!"

Kakashi quickly spoke up, "We've all lost people, Y/n. And we all care. Quit thinking you're in this alone."

"Y/n," Jiraiya looked at me intensely. "Have you seen Itachi recently?"

I glared back at him, "What the fuck does that have to do with anything?"

"Answer the question," he snarled.

"Well, I was recently caught in his genjutsu Jiraiya, so why don't you tell me?"

"No. After that. Have you seen him?" he asked again.

I felt everyone in the room staring at me with confusion and frustration. Kakashi's eyes held a flicker of sadness as they broke away from my gaze.

Jiraiya sighed, "Don't lie to me Y/n. You always get like this after you see him."

"He was in the leaf village. He dropped in front of me as I was walking home one night. It was maybe for a minute, and he left as soon as he saw Kakashi coming," I admitted softly.

"And? What happened?" Tsunade followed up.

"What always happens. He said he missed me. Then he disappeared. And no, I haven't seen him since. Nor do I want to see him."

"What night?" Kakashi asked.

"After dinner with everyone."

He sighed, "That's why you were so shaken up."

"Look," I stared back at Tsunade. "I have no intention of leaving with him. I didn't go looking for him. There's nothing I can do when he shows up in the middle of the fucking village."

"I don't know how to help you," Tsunade admitted softly. "I can't protect you from him."

"I'm not the one who needs help and protection. Focus on Naruto. Focus on Sasuke. And everyone just do their fucking jobs," I slammed the door as I left her office.