She turned to me, the brightest smile stretching across her lightly flushed cheeks. 

"You did amazing, Shortstuff."

"What, no hug?" She faked offense. I grinned before opening my arms and allowing her to slip into them. 

"Really though," I whispered, her familiar scent hitting my nose. "You were incredible."

"Thanks," she whispered back, burying her face into my chest. 

"Hey, anybody up for a celebratory stop at Jacobi's before we go back to the Lodge?" Jojo offered. 

"I'm not paying," Caz said, pulling out of our embrace. "Give me a minute to change." 

"I'll take Brooklyn, Jack." My heart stopped. Why would she want to go to Brooklyn?

"No way," Race said. "You're not going anywhere near Brooklyn."

"And why not?"

"Because they'll eat you alive in there Caz. You're not going." I internally face-palmed at Race's stupidity. 

"Like Spot would do any worse to me than he would to any of you. He knows that I have your guy's protection. If he were to try anything, you'd be on him in moments. Besides, it's not like I haven't talked to the guy before. Nothing's gonna happen." I couldn't have agreed more. If Spot so much as laid a finger on Caz, I'd do much worse than kill him. 

"Exactly, nothing's gonna because you're not going."

"Race would you let me do this? I know how to take care of myself. So what if he has an entire army of six foot tall guys at his back? I'm smart and know how to handle him. I don't see what the big deal is." I wanted to laugh. She had so much confidence, it was amazing. Most of the guys in this room trembled if Spot Conlon's name was so much as mentioned, but Caz made him sound like some schoolyard bully. 

"Because this is way out of your league, Cassandra! I don't trust you not to get hurt!" Race yelled. 

"You mean you don't trust me not to screw up." Race's eyes widened. He opened his mouth to reply, but Caz didn't give him the chance. "Don't." His gaze found mine and I gave him what I hoped was a reassuring look. 

It was silent for a moment before Jack finally said, "Race I'm with Caz on this one. She's right in saying she's smart. She'll know how to handle Spot better than any of us. Me and Davey'll even go with her."

"Me!" Davey exclaimed. "No, I-"

"Much help you two are gonna be," Race spat. "If anything happens to her, you're dead." He stood up but before he could reach the door, Buttons called out to him.

"Where ya going?"

"Midtown." He stormed out of the deli, slamming the door behind him. Thankfully no one followed. I had known Race long enough to know that when he was mad it was best to give him time to cool off. 

I looked back at Caz who was focused on the conversation Jack was having with the girl who had just entered. She seemed mad, but behind it was something else. Hurt? That didn't seem right. Surprise at what Race had said? That was probably it. I just hoped that she understood that what he said had only been out of anger and fear and that he hadn't truly meant it. 

"She's just a friend!" Jojo protested to Specs, Finch, and me. 

"Hey Alby!" Caz called out from behind me. I spun around to face her.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Have you seen Davey?"

"Hes was gonna drop Les off at home and then meet you and Jack at the Bridge," Specs responded. 

"Thanks," she said, turning to head for the Bridge. I held myself back from calling her back, but after a moment, I couldn't take it and jogged after her.

"Be careful over there," I said. "Use your brain and nothing else." 

"You're not worried for me Alby, are you?" She questioned, a playful grin pulling at her lips.

"Course not. I just don't want anything happening is all." My mind raced back to the memory of Snider grabbing my sister and dragging her down the street as she kicked and screamed for me to help her. I shoved the thought away, focusing on Caz. (Do there pasts seem too close? I feel like they're practically the same? Is that just me? I need help)

"I'll be fine," she whispered, pulling me into a hug. I returned it, holding her tightly against my body, wishing that we could stay like this forever. "You tell my brother that too."

"Is holding you to dat promise," I relied. 

"Good. Now I should really go." She when to pull away, but I wasn't ready to let her go. My body took over and before I could stop myself, I gently pressed my lips to her soft hair. Gaining control of myself, I released her and began walking away, not willing to steal one more glance at her for fear of what I might find in her gaze. I returned to the conversation with Specs and Finch (Jojo had wandered off) pretending like nothing had happened.

So much for being able to do this. 

So that was really cringy. Sorry about that, but I'm running out of inspiration. Hopefully the next chapter will be better.