╸seven : the winter solsitce

Start from the beginning

Her mother sat next to her, a tight, warm grip against Nari's hand, the little girl having received a squeeze each time her manners were poor. Tightly braided plaits were twisted into her hair, secured at the nape of her neck with a silky red ribbon, and two of her signature cowlick-baby hairs fell out of place against her forehead. Alike to the lack of tidiness with the wisps of her hair, the school's uniform she wore was wrinkled and slightly ripped. She remembers the Headmistress's face beat red with anger. Oh, she had a few hefty disciplinary actions provided for causing such a disturbance-- both via her parents and the school.

Nari grows a mix of emotions towards the memory: pity for her younger self; anger for the way she was treated; laughter for the way she treated the bossy woman; nostalgic, even for her past and long-unseen family. Maybe she misses her mother in the smallest amount. It gravely sucks that the last night Nari saw her mother, Rai was providing the most comforting and tender care that her daughter received from her.

Nari finds that entire facade to be absolute bull-pig.

The voice of an infamous young air bender breaks the girl from her short inner-monologue. She stops mid-shuffle, holding her arm out as she bends her elbow to where her fist juts upward. The sharp motion forces Zuko to halt abruptly, almost running into her.

She presses her finger to her mouth, voice low. "Listen to their plan. If we can intercept it quietly, maybe we'll have more luck getting away with the kid without getting our asses kicked." She whispers, voice low as she crouches against the wall which leads up to a flight of stairs.

Zuko nods, and together they plot out their game plan: the avatar and his friends plan to have the fire sages open the door where he'll then sneak in. They'll assume hiding positions of their own (surely all three kids— one water bender, a non-bender, and the avatar himself) can't hide from the many sages without being seen) and Nari will politely knock the kid out by jabbing the nape of his neck with her knuckles. Zuko will steal him away while Nari keeps defense ready.

Then they'll chain him up and send him to the Fire Nation.

And maybe Nari can walk the halls of her family's home, reminding herself of that night and all that went down. Trauma can make things foggy, right?

Now is the time that the two put their plan into action.

Nari holds the same tip-toe tactic as she always does, walking on the outsides of her feet. The moment she reaches the stairs, she spots some six fire sages in a lunge, punching to a locked door with perfect synchronization as flames belch from their fists. The avatar sidles against a decorative snake that climbs up a pillar.

Zuko sneaks against the back wall whilst Nari sneaks behind Avatar Aang. One quick jab to his neck, right where it meets his skull, and the kid is out. She's only got some thirty seconds to rush the kid soundlessly to Zuko until he rises to consciousness.

And she does. For the smallest second, they're successful.

That is, they would've been, until a whiny water bender calls out for her beloved friend. "Aang, now's your chance!" Katara's voice is followed by the take-down of the many sages, rushed and snappy.

Yet the kid won't show. Zuko steps to the side, revealing himself to the small trio with Aang interlocked in his grasp. Nari slaps a palm to her face-- had Zuko not exposed their presence, they could've easily slipped away while the Water Tribe siblings rush to find the boy. "The Avatar is coming with us," Zuko announces, whipping around to face the kids.

"Us?" the brother questions before hastily getting twisted into a uncomfortable grasp.

Nari slips from behind the pillar as well. She announces her presence with hands folded against her hips, and a smirk across her sharp features, and a slide. "Awe, you think you're the only one with a little 'squad'?" She pouts, voice light as if she were coaxing a toddler with pursed lips-- her face contours with the frail and petty glower. "I'm surprised you've forgotten about me; getting your rear kicked should place a name to a face well, right? Though I thought the bruises would've done that, too?"